Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

how big is the owl cluster?

asset189

Spent a bit of time looking for the owl cluster in Cassiopeia with my 15x70 binoculars with out sucess. Quite sure I was probably looking right st at , my question is how big or small is it in binoculars? Though I had it but what I was looking at filled the whole eyepiece? Thanks for any advice in finding this. The bins are good , focused, even found c/2014 Jacques in them so its not a bin problem more an operator issue I'm afraid.

It will be small in binos and very difficult to make out enough of the fainter stars to get the owl shape. And it will be upside down!

I can get the two eyes relatively easily. They appear about 3mm apart trough my 10x50s.

Paul

Agreed, small but visible in binos. I got it the other night in 15x50's quite easily. Once you know what you are looking for you will find it again no problem.

This may help, shown in a 4.5 degree fov which is similar to you binos I believe.

tede6a6a.jpg

Stu

Archived