Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

team veiwer

libraryman

Hi all, anyone able to advise me on remote control?

I want to remotely control my mount, guiding and capture!! I have downloaded remote viewer on both laptops and I'm able to connect them over my home loan.

My question relates to use in the field, without internet access!

What is the best way to link the two PC's.......I do have a couple of power line Ethernet adapters that I guess need to be used in my mains connection, but other than this; I am unclear on how to link them.

Any ideas appreciated

Ray

Windows has a built-in feature for that called Remote Desktop Protocol. It is, in many ways, superior to Teamviewer if you have direct access (i.e. know the IP address of the host system and port 3389/TCP is open all the way). In your case, being on the local network in the fiels, RDP is the way to go. Which version of Windows are you on?

The RDP host side is only present in the professional versions of Windows, which in the case of Windows 7 means, Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate and Home Premium.

The client part is present in all versions.

While Teamviewer is locked to the host computer's physical screen settings, RDP will res-size the screen to the client area size. I, for instance, have a 1280 x 1024 resolution on my host system in Provence but get a full 2560 x 1600 screen when I connect from my client computer at home. Teamviewer just gives me the 1280 x 1024. If you have a laptop in the observatory Teamviewer is a sad way to do it, unless you have some dynamite resolution laptop - which you wouldn't put in the observatory anyway.

My host in the observatory doesn't even have a monitor attached to it. It is an Asus Eee-Box, a small system. No need for biggies there, and laptops just don't survive that well in the harsh environment of a remote observatory.

/per

Thanks for that /perfrej...both PC's run pro versions..one by the scope is an old presario running 7... the other i will be on is a more powerfull Vista m/c.

I assume that will be o.k.

I'll give remote desktop a go today

Ray

If by 'in the field' - do you mean away from home and away from the LAN?

If so, you can create a wireless network on your Win7 device and connect to that - and then use RDP/Team Viewer.

I can give you the little script to do this, later tonight, if needed?

Archived