My attempt at C/2014 e2 Jacques 20/8/2014

This is my attempt at comet c/2014 e2 Jacques taken with an un modded dslr through my ed80pro

30 lights at 120 seconds

at 800iso

This was stacked in dss with just the comet setting

post-21044-0-03213600-1408643059_thumb.p

this was stacked normaly showing the comets movement through the sky

post-21044-0-44645000-1408643923_thumb.p

and this was stacked with the comet + star setting which is giving me some major problems. This is a color image but not much color only little patches, plus the nebula behind makes this pic look twisted but im guessing that was down to dss alignment

post-21044-0-61667800-1408644239_thumb.p

thanks for looking

Your best bet is to do two different stacks (1st two images) and combine them manually in PS or similar...at least that is what I have found works the best though I am no expert.

The 1st image of just the comet is really good!

Thanks guys,

Stuart I will give that a try but wont the trail of the comet moving through picture be bigger than the actual comet in the first picture ? ( the first picture i put up is a slight crop to remove stacking artifacts)

Thanks guys,

Stuart I will give that a try but wont the trail of the comet moving through picture be bigger than the actual comet in the first picture ? ( the first picture i put up is a slight crop to remove stacking artifacts)

Keep them at the same image scale and crop off the artefacts afterwards, or crop the 1st image to the same size. It can be a bit tricky blending them but worth it if you persevere.

Archived