Replacment EP's for my Skymax 127

I've just bought my first scope a Mak 127. I have really bad LP in the garden so have little chance of seeing much DSO's and the moon and planets are being uncooperative and are only showing when I am tucked up in bed!!!

On my very 1st session last night I did manage to focus on polaris before the clouds rolled in and to be honest I was not too impressed. Usual Rookie disappointment I guess, I have since read some of the posts on lowering my expectations and putting the hours in on observing skill etc. First chance I get I will haul the scope off to a darker place and settle down for a proper session but I would like  to ask for some advice first.

1) Does Dew always form on the objective lens even with a thoroughly cooled scope? In other words should I make / buy a dew protector straight away?

2) When is the sky 'clear enough' Sounds daft but I expected a better EP view and don't know if this is because of the LP, dew, high cloud or poor EP's that came with the scope. Quite possibly all four!.

3) I guess I know the answer to most of these so I will cut to the chase. What EP's would be a good choice for this scope. The scope is f11.8 so am I right I don't need to worry about CA? I am thinking of getting a 30mm EP with good FOV and eye relief as a starting point. the supplied 25mm is more use than the 10mm and I need an EP with easy viewing for my wife to use. 

Budget is £50 max on one EP so something like a Vixen NPL or Celestron Omni Plossi. FLO website says these are best suited to faster scopes, why so, is there a cost benefit going for EP's that work well enough with slow scopes?

I am still waiting for my copy of turn left at orion to arrive, so bear with me if there are too many questions being asked here, I haven't acquired the astronomers patience yet, I'm still chomping at the bit looking for fast results...LOL

Many thanks in anticipation of some feedback

1) Does Dew always form on the objective lens even with a thoroughly cooled scope? In other words should I make / buy a dew protector straight away? YES DEW ALWAYS FORMS AND A DEWSHIELD IS A MUST - YOU CAN MAKE ONE OUT OF A CHEAP CAMPING MAT.

2) When is the sky 'clear enough' Sounds daft but I expected a better EP view and don't know if this is because of the LP, dew, high cloud or poor EP's that came with the scope. Quite possibly all four!. TRY "SAT24" AND CHECK OUT THE OVERHEAD JETSTREAM WHICH CAUSES VERY UNSTABLE AIR

3) I guess I know the answer to most of these so I will cut to the chase. What EP's would be a good choice for this scope. The scope is f11.8 so am I right I don't need to worry about CA? I am thinking of getting a 30mm EP with good FOV and eye relief as a starting point. the supplied 25mm is more use than the 10mm and I need an EP with easy viewing for my wife to use. HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT A BAADER 8-24MM ZOOM ????

Budget is £50 max on one EP so something like a Vixen NPL or Celestron Omni Plossi. FLO website says these are best suited to faster scopes, why so, is there a cost benefit going for EP's that work well enough with slow scopes? - JUST ABOUT ANY EYEPIECE WILL WORK WELL IN YOUR F/12 SCOPE

I am still waiting for my copy of turn left at orion to arrive, so bear with me if there are too many questions being asked here, I haven't acquired the astronomers patience yet, I'm still chomping at the bit looking for fast results...LOL

Many thanks in anticipation of some feedback

Plossl's should do the job but you may have other aspects to consider.

They have a 50 or 52 degree view and with a 127 you will therefore get high magnification and so narrower fields of view.

Another factor it they are not parfocal so will mean adjusting the focus when you change eyepieces, I have a Mak and it wastes time.

The variable eye relief is not that great a problem although people have complained that with a 30/32 plossl they have to hold their head/eye some distance off and this makes maintaining a constant position difficult.

Another reason for eyepiece that will work on faster scope is they work on both so if you get an f/5 newtoinian they work on that in the future.

At £50 an eyepiece you really have plossl's (NPL's, GSO), some planetary's and BST Starguiders.

If you work it out a 25mm Starguider delivers the same field of view as a 30mm plossl.

First decision is then which eyepieces are you going to go for.

http://www.365astronomy.com/explore-scientific-maxvision-68%C3%82%C2%B0-eyepiece-24mm-125-p-3902.html

Check out the above link, these 68 degree maxvision eyepieces punch way way above their price bracket and the 68 degrees will help compensate for your maksutovs narrow field of view. I own several maxvision ep's and they are pure joy to use:-)

Chris

Thanks very much chaps,

I have just got back indoors after a trip to the local beauty spot with no street lights and no cloud, much better especially at high angles. The narrow field of view is an issue so starfox's suggestion of a 68Deg maxi vision feels like a good way to go, a Baader zoom looks good too, pricey but then it is 5 or more Ep's in one I guess. 

I will get the basics sorted first and some more time behind the EP before rushing to spend yet more money! I already want to change the Diagonal, that was the first thing I tried with / without and there is a difference. It's addictive, this sport, in'it

Thanks again to all

You are quite right not to rush in. Take your time and enjoy the research, although it is sometimes frustrating!

There are lots of very knowledgeable people on SGL and, as has often been written, they love to suggest how you should spend your money. When trying to figure out what I should buy I often thought my head was going to end up in a permanent wobble ...

So, apart from the threads available here and the undoubted expertise on tap, you might have a look at the site linked below. It's quite old but I just like the attitude the writer takes.

Hope it helps:

http://www.cloudynights.com/page/articles/cat/articles/how-to/eyepiece-review-pitfalls-r361

A dewshield is essential, I went down the homemade route and made one the same length as the OTA, which I have found very useful last winter. You do not state, but do you have a power supply as the AA batteries are not going to cut it longer term ?

As for EPs, My stock 25mm was ok but the 9mm was poor. I went down the BST route (new and second hand), they were a big improvement and I have been pleased with them. Very generally speaking; I use the 25mm and 15mm for DSOs and doubles and the 12mm and 8mm on lunar and planets - but that is all subject to conditions.

Conditions do vary considerably, something worth trying is a pre-dawn session. I know it can be hard to get up but I have had some of my best viewing at that time of day.

HTH and enjoy your scope.

I bought an NPL 25mm to replace the stock Skywatcher one, and I've been very pleased with it so far. Much bigger eye relief, easier viewing and a wider field of view. Would definitely get more NPLs in future!

Archived