Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

what now?

ok guys so the scope is set up, damn hard to move very heavy.

now how do i collimate / allign it? does it need to be done or will it work out box?

might need to detach it from the mount to actually move the damn thing outside though lol

You should not need to collimate the scope. You will need to align the finder with the main scope - the instructions should show you how to do that. You then need to move the scope outside and give it 30 mins or so to cool down. Assuming it's on an Equatorial mount, point the right ascension (RA) axis so that it's pointing north (the tripod might have an "N" on it" - point that towards the north) - again the instructions should tell you how to do this. You are then ready to use the scope. I suggest you used the lowest power eyepiece to start with as you work things out.

Have fun :D

John

What sort of finder is it? Red Dot or Conventional?

What was advised to me on calibrating the finder scope, was to do it during the day on a far off object, such as a chimney stack or something.......

Getting the object in the FOV, about central and then calibrate the finder scope to be just off centre either above, below, or left or right, depending on the position of the finder scope on the main OTA. (A tad to the right if the finder scope is on the right hand side of the tube, to the left if it's on the left....ETC....ETC....)

I'm sure someone else will have a more precise answer, but i followed this principle, and it has worked for me.

Nick.....

calibrate the finder scope to be just off centre either above, below, or left or right, depending on the position of the finder scope on the main OTA. (A tad to the right if the finder scope is on the right hand side of the tube, to the left if it's on the left....ETC....ETC....)
if the object is far away enough, there is no need to offset the finder. With these distances, the finder will be more accurate if it's pointed on exactly the spot as seen in the eyepiece.

Andrew

calibrate the finder scope to be just off centre either above, below, or left or right, depending on the position of the finder scope on the main OTA. (A tad to the right if the finder scope is on the right hand side of the tube, to the left if it's on the left....ETC....ETC....)
if the object is far away enough, there is no need to offset the finder. With these distances, the finder will be more accurate if it's pointed on exactly the spot as seen in the eyepiece.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew!

I'm a little surprised you think the 130 is heavy. Ours weighed in with weights and scope at just 30Lbs and it was a nice shape to move around - even through narrow doors. Still it's a good scope and should give lots of pleasure - if the skies ever clear.

I'm a little surprised you think the 130 is heavy. Ours weighed in with weights and scope at just 30Lbs and it was a nice shape to move around - even through narrow doors. Still it's a good scope and should give lots of pleasure - if the skies ever clear.

hurt my back several years ago doing weights, trying to push a bit more than i should. even the journey to stockport and back (50 miles) had me taking painkillers because of the vibration in the car.

this morning my back is stiff because i was bent over the tripod all night, should i move it up till eyepiece is at eye height?

Archived