Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is a belt mod worth it for visual?

spaceboy

Hi All

I came across the EQ6 belt mod kit on the TS website and was wondering what  peoples view was on these mods for visual and occasional planetary imaging. What I like about the one at TS is that it doesn't effect the timing so the synscan controller can still be used.

greetings

I ordered a belt kit upgrade Friday from http://www.rowanastronomy.com/productsa2.htm#neq6beltkit, my reason was goto consistency for imaging

I had slight slippage on RA drive on occasion so I decided to give my mount a service then while stripping it down to clean I ordered the kit.

may as well go the extra bit and improve a little, not really necessary but an improvement just the same.

is it worth it ? to me it is because I had a small issue and an opportunity to improve at the same time as rectifying  the issue.

hope this helps

Andy

I have noticed some error in my tracking but admit that I haven't tried PAE correction yet mainly due to a lack of understanding more than anything. What has aroused my interest is seeing an AZ EQ6-GT in action and realized it was running so smoothly and quietly as it has belts over cogs. I'm assuming there is also no more fussing with backlash with belts either?

Would it not also add to the accuracy of the goto and keep better consistency night after night ?? I have found after several sessions alignment does shift ever so slightly. No so bad when you know what your looking for but for new objects that may not be visible under LP I never know if the GT missed it or it's in the fov but its beyond my scope and skies.

I have found after several sessions alignment does shift ever so slightly.

I had similar problems with alignment slipping under the weight of the C11 and Megrez90 so got the NEQ6 Wedge.

I have also got the Rowan belt drive but intend to do some astro imaging with it.

I didn't know there was an NEQ6 Wedge sure looks better than the DEC thread bending alternative synta choose to make.

I'm planning to take a ride out with the kids soon and as Rowan isn't a million miles away I may pop in for a look at the kit for the fun of it :D

Archived