SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

On my way out...............

AndyMac

Well that was my reaction when I first saw the latest set of slides I got back from the weekend before last! :)

I suppose that taking all the shots through a deep red H-alpha filter with the slow f/ratio of my scope (f/10) didn't help much either & made for some faint images which were pretty difficult to scan.

Indeed, I had asked The Darkroom to do the scanning for me & they didn't bother, presumably thinking the film was blank.

Anyway, here's a Rubbish shot of M27. As I shot on colour film, the image came back completely red - so I've changed it to greyscale to mimick the results of a H alpha filter on hypered Kodak Tech Pan film. This shot was pretty grainy when I PM'd it to James over the weekend. Luckily he was able to reprocess it for me to remove some of the graininess (cheers, James) :)

image.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's pretty good Andy. Nice structure to the nebula and your guiding/focus is spot on. What sort of exposure was it?

And was it a good night?

I suppose the filter is zapping most the available light. The scope is a slow f10 but 11" :) of aperture must compensate a bit.

I was surprised how much light my 5" f12 Mak collected when i took the M57 and M13 images. But that was without any filter.

Still a nice image.

Russ

Cheers Russ. Always the diplomat! :)

The exposures were about 20 minutes each (a composite). I took them a week last Saturday. I wasn't going to post it (or the one I took of M16 - guiding a tad off on that one) because I thought it looked so bad. However, I've not had much to post recently, so thought I'd start a new thread.

The funny thing was that I only popped out to the observatory that Saturday to test the autoguider (which hadn't been working the previous week). I hadn't really cyked (excuse spelling) myself up for an imaging session.

So when I powered it up & it started giving readings as normal, it took me quite by surprise! :shock:

Also, when it did likewise, the following evening.

Just hope it's still working the following 'dark-side-o'-the-moon.

Thanks again for the kind comments. :)

Thanks Rob. I think you were just unlucky with your choice of film. And to have the processor hand you the negatives back & putting fingerprints all over them!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock:

As Astroman said on the thread.......... WHAT A CRETIN!

Indeed Andy... the good news is Russ has a spare (Good quality) film of which we are looking to use next time out.

Fingers crossed!!

Still, great shot you have there

Rob

I was going to ask whether your experience with film had put you off imaging Rob. Glad to see it hasn't - though there's alot to be said for plain 'ole observing & just taking in the beauty of the night sky.

Any idea what film Russ has got lined up? (I'm always interested to know what people's choices of film are, being nosey)! :)

No. not put off the film thing just yet. To be fair it was always going to be a side line thing (bit of fun).

I think its a Fuji 800 pro jobby.... not 100% sure though.

Hmmmmmm............not sure how red sensitive Fuji 800 is for nebulae. However, it should do pretty well for star clouds at this time of year. May also be worth trying it for the Perseids meteor shower in August.

Whatever use you put it to, best of British & hope to see some results posted here whenever. :)

Almost forgot, this was the other image I was able to catch briefly as it appeared from behind a neighbour's tree & then slid below the rooftops. This is a single 20-minute exposure, also with the E200 slide film/H-alpha filter combination & the result changed to greyscale.

Rather grainy & not well tracked - but the pillar detail has come out OK (if viewed in a darken room).

image.jpg

Nice photographs Big Dipper. I think this sort of thing will be out of the question for me for sometime. I saw this website though and wrote to the man that did it. Jerry Lodriguss his name was. He's quite good. http://www.astropix.com I've got maybe as much as £2000 I could spend. Have you got any suggestions? I thought a few hundred was quite a lot, but looking around, it's not. The man I bought the camera off of says he's just spent £2000 pounds on a telescope and mount and told me the best place to spend my money is on a good equatorial mount. This confused me because I thought Meade were the best and their telescopes aren't equatorial are they?

Thanks,

Steve B

Nice images Andy as i said before dont put yourself down! As to my processing effort's i am glad you liked what i came up with :) .

Film maybe the older medium for astrophotography but it certainly has it's place and that can be proved just by looking around the net at the wonderfull images that have been done by film inc your own Andy.

James

Film maybe the older medium for astrophotography

Thanks James. Guess I'm like film, too (i.e. the older medium for astrophotography)! :)

Steve, the mount is all important, in many ways even more so than the optics, because without a good, solid mount, your optics will be useless (just like playing a grade A record player with a worn out needle).

Meade are a leader in the field of scopes but are by no means THE field leader (IMO). If they were, all of the other manufacturers would be out of business.

I'm a bit of a coward when it comes to recommending to people specific scopes they should spend their hard-earned money on. Added to which, I've only ever owned 3 scopes in my life - and two of them were SCT's. I have no experience at all of reflectors. There are others here who are far better qualified to give advice, so I will leave it up to them to add further to this thread.

Jerry Lodriguss is one of the world's most renowned astro imagers. You've certainly picked up on one of the best websites around for finding information on many aspects of imaging. Definitely a link to add to your favourites. :)

And now..................

Got an e-mail from Ant this morning who kindly did a rework of my M16 image to remove the star trailing. I've therefore posted it below. Thanks again, Ant. :)

image.jpg

Look forward to receiving your tutorial soon.

Think Ant was intending to e-mail it to me, James. If he does, I'll post it up on the forums as it's bound to be of use to others.

All I know is that it's done in Photoshop & uses Layers (unfortunately I'm Rubbish at using layers - but we'll see how it goes).

Archived