Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Viewing Galaxies- Don't just use a camera- it's sort of better!

The only galaxy i can see with the naked eye is Andromeda. It appears as a bright(er) smudge of light compared with the background. With my scopes (in particular my 130mm Heritage) i have seen others such as the Black Eye,Sombrero,Pin-wheel, Leo Trio. 

None of them have been striking, but i know what they look like from images and the human brain is brilliant in filling in the detail that it cant see.

To be honest, the Black Eye looked exactly as it should have. I was impressed with it...........small as it was...........my brain filled in the bigger picture but i did see the dark part below, which gives it its name.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Wikipedia photo shows the chain of small galaxies well.

Thanks L_J  brill work, yes it does (after I squidged the wiki about a bit to find where we was ) :)

Turns out that the arc is three partially resolved stars(/more galaxies?) and some noise.

While I waited for Comet Jack to rise I amused myself with making a blink of you and Wiki, [ could do with some more work but there is a good clear sky outside calling me :)] , dont know if it is of any interest ? Dont know if the forum works with animated gifs ? but lets try :-

L-J.gif

Oh, that was fun, and it woiked :)

apols to pyrasanth for taking over the topic !

I'll shut up now and go back to Comet Jack ;)

Thanks L_J  brill work, yes it does (after I squidged the wiki about a bit to find where we was ) :)

Turns out that the arc is three partially resolved stars(/more galaxies?) and some noise.

While I waited for Comet Jack to rise I amused myself with making a blink of you and Wiki, [ could do with some more work but there is a good clear sky outside calling me :)] , dont know if it is of any interest ? Dont know if the forum works with animated gifs ? but lets try :-

L-J.gif

Oh, that was fun, and it woiked :)

apols to pyrasanth for taking over the topic !

I'll shut up now and go back to Comet Jack ;)

Thanks- I'm pleased you solved the 'arc problem' at least it is a real signal and not something else. I really should do some longer/guided exposures to see if I can get some better results. Only trouble is the Lodestar is the guide camera!!

Only trouble is the Lodestar is the guide camera!!

Ah yes indeed, even I can see that is a bit of a snag :) , sounds like a good excuse for a 2nd cam to guide the guide cam !

Any way of doing a bit of Time Division Multiplex ? like Xminutes integrating and Yseconds guiding/catchup ?

By the way did you notice that SNova you discovered middle-bottom :) :)

Archived