Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Reforking LX90 (8 inch)

goldblade1983

Hi

I deforked my lx90 earlier this year.  Now I am thinking of reforking!

In terms of deforking it was pretty simple - 3 screws on each side of OTA attached to the arms which themselves attached to forks.  I remember I had to loosen slightly the fork without the motor (I didn't remove it).

If I am to refork is it just a case of doing it in reverse.

Slightly conscious of alignment issues but I haven't removed the arms or the forks and there are simply 6 screws to fit so will it not 'by default' end up in alignment? (i.e. holes in the arms haven't moved and neither have holes in OTA so must end up back where it started?).  Even if there was slight misalignment the scope is the GPS version with auto level and auto north and so with that added feature and 2 star alignment all will be ok?

RIGHT?!

I hope so, but I'm guessing people are going to say it's not that easy?!

Cheers

Brian

I did the same with my LX90 a few years ago - I de-forked so I could use it on an NEQ6 then later re-forked it to sell it on.

For me it was just a case of doing the process in reverse, just be careful not to scratch the paintwork on the tube as you do it.  No issues were encountered in using the scope afterwards.

Excellent that's good news!

From what I could gather online the 10 / 12 inch are much more complicated to defork and refork and the 8" was easy to get off (but not much info on putting back on!).

I'm in the same position as you. It's on NEQ6 in the hope of doing astrophotography. I'm now at stage of looking to either piggyback an apo and use that for shooting and LX90 for guiding (which seems a waste) or taking it off and putting apo untracked until I can afford guidescope / 2nd apo.

I'm leaning towards reforking so I can use that for visual whilst taking shots with neq6.

Might even sell LX90 and get a giant 14" DOB!

G'day goldblade 1983 (that needs to be explained) , have you considered an LX 850 or LX600? I have a LX90 12",thinking about upgrading as I to would like to delve further into astro-photography.

Archived