Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CIRUS NEBULA AND BRIGHT STAR

CELESCOPE

WHAT nebula? Where is it? Is this something I will never see because it's too dim for any telescope I can afford? :?

Its also known as the Veil Nebula (West) (NGC 6960).

My StarryNight says its a Supernova remnant with a magnitude of 7 so, given a clear dark sky you should be able to make it out with your 4.5" though a larger aperture and nebula filter would be ideal.

Hope that helps,

Steve :lol:

WELL MUST BE A GOOD SCOPE I CANT SEE THE DEVIL STEVE, NOW MY STAR CHART SAY MAG 30 , EVEN WITH 45 SECOND EXPOSURE CANT SEE IT , I NEVER BELIEVE WHAT THAY SAY ON THESE THINGS , PROB LIKE THE GALAXIES THEY SAY U CAN SEE , ,YEA RIGHT IN THE DARKEST PLACE ON EARTH YES MAYBE , CERTAINLY NOT HERE IN THIS POLLUTED COUNTRY .

ROG

I,M NOT SHOUTING :lol:FORGOT TO CHANGE THE CAPS LOCK EHHEHEHE

Just saw this one. Steve's right, it's the western part of the Veil Nebula in Cygnus. It's actually pretty easy to see, but it's so big you can't see the whole thing at once, much like the North American nebula. Supernova remnant 2,500 ly away.. I don't know where you got the 30th mag number, but it's clearly in error. I have it at 7.0 mag, with the star, 52 Cyg at 4.2 mag.

its from Celestrons the SKY MAP Astroman , and i beg to differ , i think i have a good telescope , but in no way can i see it visually , or even imaging it , with the ccd, i have had it imaging at 70seconds on screen and nothing to see , i just wish i had the subs so i could send them . but they have been deleted , however , i,m not saying this nebula cant be seen in very dark locations , but i,m afraid over here in england thats very rare, down south west in certain parts of cornwall , and maybe scotland , or even some dark locations in Norfolk this may be possible . i did,nt want ppl to think , gee , i will just pop out and view that one , they will be mis-lead.

Rog

Well, caution is the better part of valour, Celescope. I've just seen it from downtown Phoenix with my C8 and in binoculars from a not too dark site. I did a "surf the veil" routine at the canyon last year, much like the "surf the Moon" thing. It's well over 3 degrees long, (or at least the eastern part is), and made a great show. It's a very subtle nebula. A UHC or H-Alpha filter helps see it, but it's so huge it's hard to tell if you actually have it or not. Transparency is everything in this instance. I believe you when you say you can't see it. I'm just questioning the figure of 30th magnitude.

well i do have my doubts about that as well , i agree it could be and almost is not correct ,as i said in the start of the thread that you would possible know . love these debates hehehe , i do use the HA FILTER to capture thses images , w9ith out that it would be just about impossible to achieve these objects , as u say it is a huge neb and due to its size the transparency is so important , a bit like M33 its a pig to image due to its low surface brightness, well i think we have given this one enough for ppl now to relise what to expect , cheers for the info

Rog

Archived