Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Very large looping prom at the moment!

kingboya

I'm pretty sure that prom and the one just north of it have been 'around the clock'. They were roughly where they are now, in different forms of course, yesterday morning and progressed round the limb all day yesterday.

These past few days have been unusually good for solar observing in my location - we rarely get these many beautiful days in a row in Aberdeen!

Slight change on the horizon now though ...

It's at 7 o'clock for me but that's fine. We had a lot of fun yesterday discussing this (see YKSE's post yday) and after some great work by Mark and YKSE we have it sorted.

But back to the prom: the 'loop' is now very tenuous in my EP and the 'join' at the top has faded through the day. There may be a poorer resolution in my scope but it's definitely looking more like two pillars side by side than a distinct loop. The 'puff' on the eastern limb is really nice, too. Lots of good stuff to see.

I'm off out again.

Had to leave scope to get on with life's mundane necessities, but back viewing at 16.15UT and that huge loop is all but gone. I can see only a faint wisp where the 'join' would have been. The 'pillars' are simply not there.

Plenty still going on, though ... and the former loop's near companion in the south (now at 6 o'clock for me; 12 o'clock for PST and Newts?) remains an impressive beast.

Lovely stuff - but hazing over!

Archived