Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Top 5 Recommended objects to see? (Beginner)

Right at the moment I would point a pair of binoculars at the milky way and work down from Albireo thru Aquila to Sagittarius picking up any number of bright globulars, nebulae and open clusters, ensuring that you take in the wonderful M24 star cloud en route. That will provide more than 5 I'm afraid as you'll be tripping up over so many delicacies  :smiley:. I never get tired of doing this. 

Martin

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would suspect that you would be better off making short lists of 5 object types to see. As in 5 planets, 5 galaxies, 5 nebulas, 5 clusters. 5 double stars.

Nebulas I suspect would need a darker site then many can easily access, so would infer a bit extra effort.

Everyone will have different selections but that would make a good observing set.

Who asked a day or two back about sort some of observing program as per AstroLeague might find something like that of relevance.

Someone mentioned Stellarium. I'd second that and say that initially it's the only tool you'll need.

A very realistic and beautiful representation of the sky.

Added bonus is Stellarium mobile available on Android and Apple. 

I would suspect that you would be better off making short lists of 5 object types to see. As in 5 planets, 5 galaxies, 5 nebulas, 5 clusters. 5 double stars.

Nebulas I suspect would need a darker site then many can easily access, so would infer a bit extra effort.

Everyone will have different selections but that would make a good observing set.

Who asked a day or two back about sort some of observing program as per AstroLeague might find something like that of relevance.

I like this idea. I created a new topic with this in mind:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/221434-what-are-your-top-5/

Archived