Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEQ6 Counter Weights

Tinker1947

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree with this, as does Steve in his earlier post I suspect. The balance factor moves linearly with distance but the angular momentum rises with a square, so more weights closer to the mount present a lower moment than fewer weights which are further away. Usually it is an excessive angular moment which causes problems. On the other hand, check out Laser Jock's counterweights. He must hold the world record! (Mind your toes as well as your head, LJ!!!)

Exactly, there is no difference in the force applied on the axis. The input force of fewer weights further away is the same as more weight closer to the axis when in balance.

I've been musing momentum. Momentum will be the same too when in balance across an axis.

Myself I choose more weight, closer to the mount but essentially there's very little difference.

I've been musing momentum. Momentum will be the same too when in balance across an axis.

Myself I choose more weight, closer to the mount but essentially there's very little difference.

Not so sure about that- a tight rope walker uses a long pole because it has a much higher moment of inertia than if he were carrying identical weight closer to his body. Put another way - the long pole is harder to get moving (plus I've never seen a tight rope walker with a pair of dumbells!!)

Not so sure about that- a tight rope walker uses a long pole because it has a much higher moment of inertia than if he were carrying identical weight closer to his body. Put another way - the long pole is harder to get moving (plus I've never seen a tight rope walker with a pair of dumbells!!)

Moment of inertia, guaranteed to make your brain dribble from your ears.

I'm reasonably confident that the torque required for the moment of inertia will be the very similar too.

The tight rope walkers pole is the common example of the effect of flex on the moment of inertia. Last time I checked my weight bar was pretty rigid.

My main consideration is that a shorter weight bar has a dramatic effect on "the moment you catch your jacket on it".

There are 2 things are the short bar full of weights, i don't need to go on a diet when there pointing at the rear wall of the Obby to get passed them, and i would think there's less flex although this is not something i would worry about......The Telrad has a second base plate to go on the top next time i get to see the stars....

DSC_0168.jpg

Archived