Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can't find M4

Hi.

So, this was the first week without clouds/rain since I've got my Astromaster 130EQ. I've mounted the scope and I was "messing" around to get used to the eyepieces and the movements that are needed to focus an object. I've been observing the Moon, Saturn, Mars and some stars like Antares and Spica. Yesterday I've tried to catch my first DSO, M4, but I couldn't see anything in that area. I've tried with my binos too (Upclose 10x50mm) but failed again.

It is possible that I've failed because there was to much light in the sky? Beside the lighter night of summer it was full moon too, and not to far from the spot that I was looking. 

Another thing, when I focus Mars there is a round shadow right in the middle of the planet. To see without this shadow I have to get the eyepiece a little bit of the right focus. Is it something wrong with the eyepiece? I'm still using the standard eyepiece (10mm and 20mm).

Thanks,

Clear Skies to all of you :D

It may be a little bright at this time of year to get a good view of M4 as it is low down. The moon wont help either. Have a try for M13 in Hercules. It's bright and much higher so it will be away from the murk near the horizon.

The round shadow you've described could be the central obstruction of the secondary mirror. You see this when you're not completely at focus. Try looking at a bright star, such as Vega, and adjust the focus. The further from ideal focus you are the larger this central black shadow will appear. Moving towards ideal focus this shadow will shrink and, if the telescope is well collimated, you should see diffraction rings immediately before focus is achieved.

You should definitely be able to see M4 in a few days (nights), when the moon is yet to rise. Located in Portugal, you got far darker nights than UK or Norway (indeed) this time of year.

Try late night from 18th July and onwards. And post a report  :smiley: .

Rune

I didn't read that you are in Portugal, sorry. Your sky will be a Messier playground with all those that we find tricky in the UK, as they are low to the south, much easier to spot. You should also have a a greater chance of clear skies than we do. Have fun.

Thank you all. I've tried to find M13 in the weekend, but I knew that would be impossible with a super Moon in the sky. Tonight the Moon will rise around midnight, so I will try again to find this two objects.

@WaveSoarer, You were right about the shadow, it was the secondary mirror. Thanks again :D

Archived