Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hooked on Ha

Floater

Had a wonderful day of solar observing today.

7am and good seeing with my Solarmax: great proms and good detail on the 'surface', with sunspots aplenty. Particularly focused on a wispy prom which Michael and Stu wrote about.

So I decided to switch to white light. A bit of a hassle 'cos I have only one mount and had to take the Solarmax off and hitch up my TV with the Astrozap filter. (I'm waiting for another filter to fit on my Dob for parallel Ha and white light viewing but FLO have a long lead time to supply it.)

Anyhow, while the white light view was clear and I could hike up the magnification and 'dive into' the sunspots ... that was it. Should I be seeing more in the white light view? I know I'll not get the proms and filaments, etc., but am I missing something?

When I got back to observing later in the day I fitted the Solarmax and was again blown away with the change in proms, the huge activity apparent on the limb, and all the detail in those deep, attractive sunspots.

At present my gast is flabbered by the Ha views. And today was a belter!

But should I look for more, and find more, in white light?

Sounds like you had some great views. Early morning certainly seems to be the right time to observe, it makes quite a difference to the detail available.

With my wedge, I do see lovely detail in white light. The active regions are full of large and small spots and penumbra surrounding the large ones. The two other things to look for are granulation over the rest of the surface, on good days you can see it all over. Secondly, faculae which you tend to see where the limb darkens and they stand out as kind of a lighter crackling effect.

You've possibly seen my sketch which gives an idea of what I can see at x67. I haven't worked out how to draw faculae yet so just stick to the large AR's.

ba5ene6a.jpg

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that Stu. I have, indeed, seen your sketches and am well pleased to have done so.

I had you in mind when I posted, because you are obviously a fan of white light. Does the wedge 'give up' more than the Baader filter? I just worry that I may be expecting too much. And, of course, what would be worse than that would be if I was missing something (given my large L plate) ...!

As you'd expect, I WILL keep looking and learning.

Thanks Gordon.

I believe you do get better views with the Wedge vs Baader film. I've not done a side by side evaluation but most reports do back this view.

There is also a small but noticeable resolution difference between the 76 and 85. I could do a test with my 76 to see the difference but I would expect it to be a factor. I do also use a continuum filter which, again, gives a small but useful increase, particularly in faculae.

Which eyepiece do you use, I find my Orthos give very sharp views for white light. I normally use an 11mm TV Plossl for Ha and a 12.5 or 9mm with the Wedge. I did try the 11mm in the Wedge the other day and it was definitely not as sharp as the Orthos.

So, question is, what were your view like? Did you pick up the granulation or faculae? I know the two ARs are heading off now but how was the detail in the spots?

Cheers,

Stu

Stu, thanks for your time and your interest.

The best views I've had with the Solarmax are definitely when using the Cemax 12mm. I've tried the TV 8-24 and had good enough results; the Nagler 9 and 13 also delivered well, with nice framing. The Nagler 3-6 zoom was just too much for seeing conditions, though. I have always gone back to the Cemax 12. In fact, I've wondered whether the Cemax 18 might be a worthwhile addition.

I've done even less viewing in white light - with the TV 76 - but again, I have 'ran through' the zooms. The ARs are wonderful and the 3-6 zoom was certainly a good option, giving crisp close-ups on the spots and nice detail on umbra and penumbra. (I should, perhaps, point out here that I'm almost self-conscious about my place on the learning curve - still unsure about where east and west are in my view, good grief, let alone where faculae are!). The Cemax EP does nothing special for me in white light, so it's always been the Naglers that have pleased.

I'm reading up, when I can, on the various facets of solar observing and trying to get in as much eyepiece experience as possible. There have been few opportunities recently for night-time observing, what with poor conditions and the fact that it hardly gets dark at all at my latitude - which is one of the reasons I got the solar scope in the first place. If it is dark at night just now, it's usually only because it's thick cloud blanketing the 'gloaming'. (Hope you know that word. It's a good one!)

But, all that said, I am loving what I see through the solar scope. The dynamism makes it almost addictive. (Was it you who wrote that on a recent thread?) I've even got my wife interested in seeing how the proms and filaments change and develop.

So please forgive the epistle-like post; it just reflects my enthusiasm.

No problem at all, nice to have another solar fan in the gang!

Your experience with the Solarmax/Cemax 12mm seems pretty close to my favourite 11mm TV Plossl with the PST. The simple eyepiece designs work well and seem to have less light scatter/sharper images. Quite a few people do like to use zooms but even having experimented with them I keep coming back to my favourite. I sometimes use a 15mm Plossl or 18mm BGO which can be handy for picking up fainter prominences some way off the surface.

I have settled on the 12.5mm BGO (x48) for white light and rarely use anything else, just the 9mm if the seeing is good (x67). I find that going much higher doesn't really show me any more detail unless the seeing is exceptional. For the 76 that would be around the 9mm and 7mm mark I guess.

I wouldn't worry about being a learner, we all are still really! I get my directions mixed up all the time and have an appalling memory for star names!

I agree that the dynamism is addictive. The sheer detail available, and the fact that you can see changes, sometimes in a matter of minutes is amazing.

Stu

Great pics, Stu. Thanks for pointing me to them.

I looked up faculae (again) after writing my long-winded spiel last night and I'm pretty sure I've got it nailed now.

Been out again this morning and got some good views - in Ha - with lots of activity still on the eastern(?) limb.

It's going to cloud over soon, though.

Good stuff Gordon.

In terms of direction, the Sun (and everything else near the ecliptic for that matter move roughly East to West so the western limb will be the one leading and eastern will be trailing. This is easiest to remember as it doesn't matter which orientation the image is presented to you.

I do get a little confused between PST and Wedge because the views are different orientations, but I would guess yours are both the same ie upright but flipped east to west?

Stu

Hi Gordon,

I have just been out comparing my new Lunt wedge with my old solar film filter. Is there a difference? Yes. Is it a huge difference? No, to be honest. Now it may be the 'scope, the atmospherics, not great at midday :tongue:, but I would have expected an equal effect on both, so probably still a fair representation?? I can see with the film what I can with the wedge. Faculae on the limb around the disappearing sunspot group. Good definition in both the dark spots and penumbra and a hint of granulation in places. With the wedge it is just a bit sharper with more contrast, but not as much as the blurb will have you believe. I am using mine with a polarizing filter to tune the contrast. I do not have a Baader continuum filter, so maybe this is the missing link?? The scope I am using is a classic 80/1200 F15 btw.

Stu's excellent sketch above is a very accurate view of what I can see through both.

Thanks for the help and the encouragement. Warming and very welcome.

Everything's a bit ragged today as we have our grandsons ... And rain is forecast for tomorrow.

But the sun ain't goin nowhere, is it?

Archived