Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar Filter Mak v Newt?

TiTanecd

Hi guys

I bought a Skywatcher 127mm Baader Solar filter for my Celestron 130EQ. I know there is a difference, I'll cover the edges up and place it in the scope with the original from cover over it (with the small peep hole open) .

images

I'm not worried about that.

The issue is its called "SkyWatcher Solar Filter 127mm for Maks" and I have a Newt. The 150mm says "for Newts". Now is there a difference or is it a naming thing like Maks are normally 127mm and 150mm is normally Newts?

I assume its the same material?

Tx

as long as you have visual film not photographic film and it fits on the scope (covering all routes to the mirrors) then it will work on any scope regardless of design. obviously another key issue is that it cannot be blown off in the wind.

The filters are named that way so that you can pick the most appropriate size for your telescope. ie the "127mm Mak" means that this one fits Skywatcher/Celestron 127 Maks and the "150 Newt" means that the diameter of the filter is correct for 150mm reflectors etc. The filter material remains the same for all the filters.

Tx guys I thought that also. It is visual and not photography. I made sure of that.

It will be impossible to blow over, it is housed inside the tube between the end cap and the secondary mirror struts. Can hold scope upside down :p

Archived