Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Umbrella Galaxy

Nice picture, but the detail seems to be that it was produced with the Suburu Telescope in Hawaii, which is 8.2 meter diameter.

Not something that someone starting out with a 130PDS is going to match, however I guess many will look at this and try. There is little mention of this slightly significant fact.

It is this that concerns me, I honestly can see people seeing this as APOD, then thinking they will take up AP and get images like this.

Ah. I thought those background galaxies looked remarkable, now I know why :)  Apparently people can submit links to images from just about anywhere as a selection for APOD, doesn't have to be the originator of the image.

ChrisH

I'm just happy to see an image like this. :)

When my dad was alive, this was something that couldn't even be imagined.

BTW. why Umbrella, I fail to see a resemblance, Blackpool Lollipop, maybe?

Or is the Umbrella that bit out to the left?

Looks like a tie fighter more than an umbrella.  Amazing picture though, I love seeing stuff like this.  Makes me wonder what it would be like to stand on a far distant planet and watch a galaxy-rise like that.

Looks like it might be a shock front. Perhaps it's moving through a denser region of intergalactic gas. There was a pic in AN recently of a galaxy being shredded as it falls into one of the big superclusters. My AN mags are packed away for moving so can't tie it down. Sorry.

Nice picture, but the detail seems to be that it was produced with the Suburu Telescope in Hawaii, which is 8.2 meter diameter.

Not something that someone starting out with a 130PDS is going to match, however I guess many will look at this and try. There is little mention of this slightly significant fact.

It is this that concerns me, I honestly can see people seeing this as APOD, then thinking they will take up AP and get images like this.

Does it matter who produces an image and how? A stunningly beautiful image is a stunningly beautiful image!

I could look at stuff like that for hours and not care that I'll never get close to producing anything of that quality. One day I'll get round to doing AP myself and still be delighted if I'm able to produce images of the quality of the M101 posted by Mark_C earlier.

Archived