NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ha scope for imaging

Rob63

HI Folks,

I’m looking for some solar scope opinions.

I am intending to buy a Ha scope this year, the incoming Lunt 50 B600 looks like a great scope for the money but I was wondering if this would be suitable for imaging? (N.B. I intend to invest in a mono camera later this year as well).

I’ve seen some great images posted from PST’s and Lunt 35’s so I know it’s possible to take good images – is this done via mosaics?

Or…

Would I be better making the jump to a Lunt 60 PT B1200 ? It’s a big investment but I really want to do imaging ( I currently so some planetary imaging on the dark side).

Cheers,

Rob.

I’ve seen some great images posted from PST’s and Lunt 35’s so I know it’s possible to take good images – is this done via mosaics?

Not necessarily. I use a QHY5-II mono cam with the PST for full disk images. I do get some sweet-spot issues and mosaics would probably lead to a better final image but I am still learning the ropes as it were.

I am sure other, more knowledgable members will comment on the other elements of your question.

Hi Rob,

As an owner of a PST and then a Lunt 60 PT and finally a double stack for the Lunt I can honestly say that I have been delighted with both.  I never got round to imaging a full disc with my PST (I only had a DMK21 then so just small parts) and I didn't really get going with mosaics until after buying the DS for the Lunt.  The Lunt 60, and I am assuming that the Lunt 50 will be similar, is capable of single full disc shots.  I use a DMK41 and 0.5x reducer, set to about 0.8x to get the full disc in one go.

My Lunt 60 can keep the full disc fairly even when in single stack, but I stand no chance with the double stack fitted and that is the reason I put a barlow on the DMK41 and shoot a 9 pane mosaic.  The image scale is also so much better at 1.5x and you see much more detail.

As Peter has mentioned (thanks) there are a lot of my images on here taken with my Lunt 60, although most of the ones in the last year are using a double stack. 

As David, points out the PST is very capable, as is the Lunt 35, but I think the new Lunt 50 is going to edge both out, unless of course you want to do a PST mod?

To answer your other question the difference between the Lunt 50 and Lunt 60, most people in the know seem to think the size of the objective to the size of the Etalon in the Lunt 50 is optimal and possible better than the 60.  The Lunt 50 is also pressure tuned (as is the 60 PT), which should lead to a better design than tilt tuning.  As far as I can tell the only thing letting the Lunt 50 down for imaging is the size of the blocking filter (this will limit the size of chip you can use) and the fact that it doesn't have a Crawford focuser.

The B600 blocking filter will be okay for small webcams and will probably be okay for a full disc, but it might limit the FoV slightly.  I will be honest, I would be lost without a 10:1 focuser, but as I have never used a helical focuser and others have on here for imaging (Michael - Lunt 35 great results) I might be wrong.

Hope that helps.

Robin

Fantastic image Michael,

I notice your sig says you have a B1200 which I guess is the sticking point with the Lunt 50 as it doesn't offer anything bigger than B600 (I was looking at using a DMK41 mono camera for imaging)

Guess the smart thing to do is be patient and wait for reviews of the Lunt50 when it arrives.

Rob

Archived