Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moon chart / map recommendations?

Myopicus

Hi folks, 

Do you have any preference for lunar maps?  

I'm after something that is detailed,  reasonably well labelled, without being too 'flappy', perhaps? I did have a phillips chart once, but it was massive and difficult to control - a bit like an ordnance survey map.

Also any opinions on the benefits of photographic vs. illustrated style charts?

Many thanks, 

mace

i was after one myself and after recommendation i purchased:21st century Atlas of the Moon by Charles A.Wood and Maurice J.S.Collins. 

Stunning publication.Moon is divided into smaller indexes so you can pick out the region you are observing and that map will give you detailed pics,info on everything is on there.

Absolutely the best  map of Moon you can get.

i was after one myself and after recommendation i purchased:21st century Atlas of the Moon by Charles A.Wood and Maurice J.S.Collins. 

Stunning publication.Moon is divided into smaller indexes so you can pick out the region you are observing and that map will give you detailed pics,info on everything is on there.

Absolutely the best  map of Moon you can get.

Yup, checked it out and ordered! Thanks for the tip!  :smiley:

I like the ring bound format (like LT@O) as it sits flat.

Many thanks Dude.

m

Here's one, laminated so you won't mind it dewing up at the eyepiece:

http://www.shopatsky.com/product/Sky-and-Telescope-Field-Map-Of-The-Moon/maps-and-globes

I have one in my observing briefcase, always handy.

Thanks for that - I saw it on Amazon and thought it looked good. It comes in an inverse 'scope version'?  Wasn't sure which one would be the most useful - telescope version has one purpose, but I spend plenty of time with my bin's and the planisphere. What do you reckon?

m

Thanks for that - I saw it on Amazon and thought it looked good. It comes in an inverse 'scope version'?  Wasn't sure which one would be the most useful - telescope version has one purpose, but I spend plenty of time with my bin's and the planisphere. What do you reckon?

m

I've got both.

Avtar

m

I always like my views straight up, and will flip it in my head if needs be.

Archived