spotted...something

oldnut

tried out my scope last night, just kept pointing it at every shiny thing in the sky. after about an hour I pointed it at another shiny object and it was a planet with rings, I am guesing Saturn. it was at about midnight and fairly low in the sky, due south-ish. not very accurate I know but can anyone confirm if it was Saturn I would have spotted my first planet

I was viewing Saturn as well with a vivitar scope I found at a thrift store. Then I went to my favorite new scope as well. I saw a total of three planets. Mars Saturn and Neptune. Saturn has the most apparent rings . Other planets have rings as well just not as visible as Saturn.

If it had rings the you found Saturn.

Congrats on your first planet!

Surely his second ... I find that earth is really easy to spot :)

Still - my first sight of Saturn and its rings through a scope was what really got me hooked as a kid.  I'd seen Jove and his line-dance of moons before, as well as the bright pepper scattered plieads and the smudge of andromeda. But "first Saturn" is, I guess, always an epiphany.

P

just downloaded it, looks like I will be able to find my way around now, I even noticed it shows satellites, think I saw a few zipping about very difficult to catch with the scope!

If you want to see the ISS click on the link http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/view.cfm?country=United_Kingdom&region=England&city=Chester# and put in your nearest location,

the timings are usually spot on, my location is Chester, just take that off and click on yours,

it's not coming my way for a while, but when it does I always give them a wave. Once you 

have set your location bookmark it, it keeps your settings for next time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived