Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Camera mount for ST80 piggyback

Hi All

I recently bought a NEQ6 mount and have started to use it with EQMOD.  I thought I would start experimenting with a small cheap refractor to get used to the mount and set up the EQMOD go to function -  hence the ST80 - before I dipped in my pocket for a better scope ! Also to get some imaging experience to  use my camera with the setup.   The ST80 tube rings have  a standard camera threaded stud ontop of one of the rings.  

I thought I would attach my camera  (1100D) to piggyback on the scope and was wondering what the best way was of doing this ?  I have tried just screwing the camera onto the stud but the end result is not stable and solid enough particularly as I have a relatively heavy 200m metal lens and it is difficult to lock the camera properly on the threaded stud !

I would appreciate if anyone has got any ideas or experience of doing the same thing and has found a solid way of attaching the camera to the top of the scope rings.  

Thanks very much in anticipation.

The most stable way is to use a 'top bar' linking the scope rings opposite the dovetail bar. Then drill a hole in it to allow a 1/4" UNC bolt through to attach the camera.

The top bar can be another dovetail bar or piece of aluminium. In this case I used a piece of oak!

DSCF5823.jpg

Placing your dslr on the top stud on the ST-80 just requires a locking nut threaded on first then a largish washer, then wind the dslr on until it get to stop point, back it off a turn and tighten the lock nut this should be sturdy, if you go the route attaching you dslr to the ST-80 focuser, it will require 2"-3" of extension tubes to get the focal point right.....

Thanks for your responses guys- wow that oak bar certainly provides some support !  

I agree I will attach the camera to the ST80 at somepoint but just wanted to try out the 200mm lens I have as well just with the camera - I am currently looking at a quick release adapter and plate.  However the idea of using a cheap material such as wood to provide a mounting platform which is easy to work with seems like a very good idea and I will look at attaching a quick release plate to it.

Thanks for the ideas!

Archived