Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

June 21, 2014: Massive arc eastwards; huge detached prom westwards

Finally got a glimpse of the sun today, and boy was it a treat. A huge arc could be seen northwards on the eastern limb. To its north another prom was visible. To the west of the sun a large triangular mass of plasma was visible, close to a smaller prom. Just south of centre, a huge complex mass of bright plage showed up the location of a big AR. A couple of other ARs and filaments could also be seen

Just a brief session but well worth it.

I agree Michael, I was out with the PST today and it was a wow moment looking at the ejected detached plasma mass at about the 10 o'clock position (sorry I'm not up with the solar lingo yet), also the bright elongated patch just off centre. Lots of little proms also. Not much in the way of Sun spots at the moment which is weird for the maximum, only saw one small one at about 10 o'clock and two tiny ones above it.

Very interesting to see how this object changed from day to day! :)

Chris

Archived