Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ever thought.....

spurius

How hot would Earth get if it had Venus's atmosphere? Or vice versa? I would guess about 200-250 degrees C, but I know sod all about thermodynamic properties of gases. In any case Venus is proof that global warming isnt caused by Lamborghinis. 

No but it's caused by similar gases to those that come out of cars?

What im trying to say is that Venus has no cars on it. Yet it has suffered awsome global heating. Here on Earth we have about a million cars per square meter and our climate is alright. Also the climate on Earth has gone up and down over the millions of years it has existed. Global warming and climate change is a natural phenomenon.

The only reason I agree with the "anti CO2 policies" is that I assume it results in less pollution and cleaner air. This is a good thing. However it seems governments blame cars and motobikes for screwing our weather up. This is rubbish.

If I'm not mistaken, Venus became inhospitable over the course of millennia due to its greenhouse gases. Even though on Venus the gases such as COwere produced by the volcanoes on Earth Cars are expelling thousands of times more greenhouse gases than volcanoes. At any rate,  lamborghinis do cause global warming ;) . If the Earth had Venus' atmosphere, It still probably wouldn't be as hot as Venus, since it's not as close to the Sun, but we would still definitely be dead. 

Bit strange but I recall getting told, or was it one of the BC programs on Planets that was on C4 recently, that the reason is that Venus is too close to the Sun to have liquid water so it doesn't have rain to wash the gasses out of the atmosphere. So CO2 and SO2 build up as acidic gasses and greenhouse gasses.  Think of all that CO2 trapped as chalk in the Earths mantle.

Remember all the trouble with acis rain some years back?

The rain washes the CO2 and SO2 out and forms an acisic solution.

Cannot happen on Venus, so the grreenhouse effect occurs.

All that lovely rain seems to be what prevents us having a runaway greenhouse planet.

Earth just isn't close enough to the sun to end up like Venus, unless our star heats up a bit we are far more likely to suffer an ice age than a runaway greenhouse effect that evaporates all the oceans.

And the other way around? Well Venus likely had an atmosphere much like ours in its distant past, the fact that it spins so slowly and is so close to the sun mean that it gets cooked and the water boiled off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Venus is a good example of what could happen to earth if we keep chopping the rainforests down at the same time as pumping billions of tons of C02 into the atmosphere.

The current & last few generations have upset the balance, but we should be clever enough to arrest further damage.

Not really, we could burn down every tree on the planet and still be nowhere near where Venus is.

If we wiped out life in the oceans however that would doom us to environmental catastrophe. The biomass in the world oceans plays a huge role in maintaining the balance in the atmosphere.

I personally am against burning down all the trees however. Whilst they may be a menace and sure to get in the way of any celestial body you wish to observe the smoke from burning all those trees would really mess up the seeing!

That hasn't stopped me from chopping down four trees in my garden though, there you are Polaris!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's generally accepted in the US that Homo Sapiens are the cause of global warming. And yes, it's true..Americans use much more power resourses than they should.

It's generally accepted by anyone who knows their science, but the news media sure loves giving equal time to the deniers, and trying to make it look like there's a debate to be had.

My view is anthropogenic climate change is real, and is dangerous, and the "debate" among scientists was settled decades ago.  But even if there was still doubt, we might as well try reducing emissions anyway.  In the words of a comic I recently saw "What if it's all a big hoax, and we create a better world for nothing?"

How hot would Earth get if it had Venus's atmosphere? Or vice versa? I would guess about 200-250 degrees C, but I know sod all about thermodynamic properties of gases. In any case Venus is proof that global warming isnt caused by Lamborghinis. 

OK - Venus is proof that global warming is not caused by Lamborghinis : - WHY? - no one has every found a Lamborghini on Venus: QED. Perhaps the issue here is the difference between "global warming that messes up the environment" and "completely cooking all the CO2 out of the rocks in the great global bake-off".  With regard to the OP, this is not an eary problem - different atmosphere, history, orbit. etc. Maybe Earth would get 200C but it is one of those question that are hard to answer.

P

Archived