Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SCB-2000P on it's way!

richyrich_one

Hi

I stumbled across VA while looking for a way to display what the scope was seeing to those who would not be able to stand the cold, struggle with the eyepiece etc.

So glad I did!

Why are you all hidden away down here?!

I've snapped up a new SCB-2000P for just over £40 from ebay which I well pleased with. C adaptor also on it's way and already have a UV/IR filter. 

I was wondering what signal cable to get for it. It's possible it might be a long run, may be 20m or so. Does it need to be anything special?

Cheers

Hi rich..the scb2000 is a great camera to start with if not stay with.im not shure about it on your newt you may not have enough inward focus travel to get focus. ..I can't on my 8" newt.. but you can fit lenses to the sammy and mount on the scope and give you a wide field camera option..welcome to va..there is a lot of posts on here..I started posting about 2 years ago about the Samsung camera.

G'day Rich. Welcome to Video Astronomy.

No particular 'special' cable is needed. I use 25m (82 feet) security camera cables from a hardware store to run both my Samsung SCC-A2333 (SCB-4000) and my Mallincam Xtreme.

I have never had a problem with them.

There is tons of info and conversation about your particular camera in the Video Astronomy Forum

There's even instructions on how to remove the terrible Samsung factory IR filter. Pop along for a visit.

Hi rich..the scb2000 is a great camera to start with if not stay with.im not shure about it on your newt you may not have enough inward focus travel to get focus. ..I can't on my 8" newt.. but you can fit lenses to the sammy and mount on the scope and give you a wide field camera option..welcome to va..there is a lot of posts on here..I started posting about 2 years ago about the Samsung camera.

I'm hoping as it's a PDS model it should be set up to provide extra inward focus.

Not had the scope long and haven't even looked through it yet.

I'll let you know how it goes.

G'day Rich. Welcome to Video Astronomy.

No particular 'special' cable is needed. I use 25m (82 feet) security camera cables from a hardware store to run both my Samsung SCC-A2333 (SCB-4000) and my Mallincam Xtreme.

I have never had a problem with them.

There is tons of info and conversation about your particular camera in the Video Astronomy Forum

There's even instructions on how to remove the terrible Samsung factory IR filter. Pop along for a visit.

Thanks. I was wondering whether cat5 cable would work?

I also have a friend says he can get me some satellite cable.

Hi

I stumbled across VA while looking for a way to display what the scope was seeing to those who would not be able to stand the cold, struggle with the eyepiece etc.

So glad I did!

Why are you all hidden away down here?!

I've snapped up a new SCB-2000P for just over £40 from ebay which I well pleased with. C adaptor also on it's way and already have a UV/IR filter. 

I was wondering what signal cable to get for it. It's possible it might be a long run, may be 20m or so. Does it need to be anything special?

Cheers

Hi Rich,

Welcome to video assisted astronomy and this forum.  The cable depends on what you're going to view on.  If it's just a monitor, then you just need to run the composite signal.  If you want to capture images, then you will also need a video capture device that takes your Pal signal (we have NTSC here) and digitizes it for a USB connection to your computer.  You will also want some kind of remote control for the camera menu.  I'm just a novice at this, but Matt at AVS is all knowing and you can contact him for advice.  Here is his link: http://www.astro-video.com.  His email contact info is there.  I believe he has a remote controller for the SCB-2000.  He can also tell you what the best cable is for extended routing.  Also, you may need some kind of focal reducer.  Matt has what he calls a varioreducer that will give you different levels of reduction.  They do tend to give more problems with focusing, especially with a newt.  Matt can give you some guidance on that as well.  Hope this helps.

Hi Rich,

Welcome to video assisted astronomy and this forum.  The cable depends on what you're going to view on.  If it's just a monitor, then you just need to run the composite signal.  If you want to capture images, then you will also need a video capture device that takes your Pal signal (we have NTSC here) and digitizes it for a USB connection to your computer.  You will also want some kind of remote control for the camera menu.  I'm just a novice at this, but Matt at AVS is all knowing and you can contact him for advice.  Here is his link: http://www.astro-video.com.  His email contact info is there.  I believe he has a remote controller for the SCB-2000.  He can also tell you what the best cable is for extended routing.  Also, you may need some kind of focal reducer.  Matt has what he calls a varioreducer that will give you different levels of reduction.  They do tend to give more problems with focusing, especially with a newt.  Matt can give you some guidance on that as well.  Hope this helps.

All very helpful, thanks.

The remote part interests me.

I have come across an inline controller, w5? I think. Looks interesting.

Archived