Storage question

This is my first post in the forums here, even though I've popped in quite a few times for a look around - so if I may start off by saying "hello" to everyone I was wondering if you could offer any advice on potential outdoor storage please.  

Although a long-time viewer of the heavens using my 20x80's, I've just become the proud owner of a Sky Watcher 130P.  What I hadn't quite bargained for was it's size;  to me, it's the reverse of that old addage when you hear people say "you're not as tall as you look on the tele......" - I'm quite surprised at how large it all is when set up.  

So, my question is, can one - or does anyone - store a 'scope outside in a weather-proof and insulated storage unit ? Or is this a flat no-no ?  I realise it's not ideal but needs must.....  :undecided:

Appreciate any feedback and my sincere thanks in advance.

HI and welcome to SGL

my scope & mount have been set up out side in my garden since march
I cover it with a tent when its not being used (which is most of the time due to the weather)
the added advantage to storing / leaving outside is there is no cool down time

I generally make sure any exposed metal gets a squirt of WD40 every other week and a general clean down and airing when its dry

If you have a dry shed that should be fine, I would suggest some sort of cover over the scope as well, as much to keep things out of the scope. For whatever reason spiders seem to like the main mirrors.

The building should however be dry, you do not want condensation on the mirrors if at all possible.

Good question Kevin, I just bought a Skywatcher150P with tripod and was amazed at just how much bigger it was than it seemed in the shop; I'm glad I didn't go with the 200P!

I've left my EQ5 scope up for several nights in a row, just throwing a quilt over it in case the weather turns, and it's been fine. As for the scope and mount, I found a guy on EBay who was selling a whole lot of flight cases for a film company and bought some of those. They're absolutley tough as nails, all I've had to do is change some of the foam inside and they're good to go. These cases stay outside 24/7 with just a tarpauline thrown over them, and a silicate sachet inside in case there is any damp. So far no problems.

KevinJH........Hi, If your security is sound, and conditions are dry, outside storage is feasible, as already mentioned, there will be no or minimal cool down period to worry about. There are various options to keep the scope "warm" with lamps to control damp, WD40 has been mentioned, but don't get any on a mirror? I keep my scope near the back door, covered with a heavy duty plastic sheet. It does the trick of protecting it from the ravages of the confines of a modern kitchen even though this kitchen is fully air conditioned! The footprint of my scope assembled is about 53cm (guessing at present) about the same area as my dining room chair. So although the 200P appears big, its easy to tuck in the corner fully assembled?

In the past I have used a variety of barbecue covers and a motorcycle cover in all weathers, and as far as I can tell no harm has come. I sprayed the shiny bits with silcone and uncovered it whenever possible to allow it to "breathe".

I believe Green Witch sell a purpose made cover which I understand is very good and reasonably priced.

Well, I'd just like to say a big thank-you to everyone who's been kind enough to comment - I really appreciate it.    I think in light of what's been said I'll be making a 'safe spot' in my shed (which is handy as I've recently had a big clear out  :grin: ).  Not being too sure if this was a goodl environment, looks like it's an ideal place.

I have a feeling I'll be picking your brains again very shortly about a couple of things so bear with me and my thanks again  :wink:

Archived