Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Location, Location Location....

Hi all,

as a relative noob I'm always looking for good sites for observing. Does anyone have any suggestions for good, dark sites I could use without having to worry about annoying the residents or upsetting a farmer by damaging a field of crops somewhere in the triangle defined by Oxford, Reading and High Wycombe?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as my usual site has just too much light pollution for anything other than planetary/lunar obs.

Thanks,

Jon

Hi

A good starting point would be to contact and join a local / regional astronomical society as they would use / be able to advise on best dark sites in your region.

Otherwise being prepared to travel away from urban light pollution is a good plan and although requires extra effort, can become habit forming.

Hi Iain,

I did try asking my local astronomical society several weeks ago but have not had a reply. I intend to go to a meeting or 2 but they tend to hold them on evenings when I'm working and it can be tricky for me to change days/evenings off. I have no problem travelling to for observing, as long as the site is far enough away from polluted skies. I'm even contemplating a trip to the peak dstrict sometime in the autumn when the nights will be long enough to allow a few hours of staring into space!

Jon

Hi Jon

In that case, perhaps aim to check potential locations in day light as part of say a trip out, particularity if you aim to plan any walking, cycling trips. I use several locations, at least one of which is with an astro society. Others I learnt about via word of mouth or have simply scrutinized OS  maps  and recollected past trips out. Most of the time it can be an enjoyable and rewarding experience. If you plan on using country parks, be prepared for the prospect of occasional unwelcome visitors though.  For that reason, whilst I mix solo with group meets, unless heading to somewhere where I know from experience I will have the place to myself, the group meets can provide that extra reassurance as well as companionship.

Good luck, this is a good time of year to do your research.

If I recall someone from the Watford area asked similar and as I recall it was suggested to try up towards Ayselbury at the reservoirs at Pitstone.

There is a club at Abingdon which if they observe anywhere East of there means it could be reachable by you.

I see there is a club at Aylesbury also, they may meet somewhere useful and on a better night.

good advice above for a local astronomical society and checking out sites in the day.

i am always on the "look out" for usefull sites. i have got a few, some favour certain horizons others are reasonably dark. never had any problems with farmers or anybody else, i am sure there would be plenty of places locally for you.

Archived