NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 or NEQ6 for SW ED80

Spoon

Morning,

I'm really struggling on deciding on a new mount. On astro buy sell heq5's are going for £400-500 whereas the NEQ6 is £600-700.

I will be using with whichever one I get a Skywatcher ED80 with a guidescope if I find one for a good price, and a webcam as the guide camera along with a canon 1000D. So not a rediculously heavy set up. I have heard great things about both mounts, I just think that the NEQ6 might serve me better in the future if I want to put a big reflector on top of it like a 200PDS or something. Any input?

PS I turned 16 in May so I don't have a load of money to shell out on mounts like the EQ8 or mesu's. This is also why I'm planning on buying the mount second hand! And I know what you're thinking, a 16 year old with this kit? Wow haha.

Cheers,

Cam

The HEQ5 and the ED80 will serve you well. I had one for a couple of years and it happily buzz around all night doing 30 minute subs. However, if you are having any thoughts of a possible upgrade in the future then the NEQ6 will serve you better.

Worth bearing in mind that there is a significant difference in weight/bulk between the 5 and the 6.  I can just about lift my NEQ6 plus tripod (but minus OTAs and counterweights) to carry it down two steps and outside to the patio.  If you need to move it a longer distance you may have to break it down completely each time you take it out and bring it back in.  With all the wiring that you need to add for an imaging set-up it can take a fair while to do that (plus more chance of a wasted imaging session chasing down gremlins).  If you're taking it to a dark location then you'll probably have to break it down anyway, but lugging the NEQ6 mount head in the dark across a field is going to be harder work.

That said if you can pick up a decent 6 for a small amount more money, it will give you more options for future scope upgrades.

If I knew I were going to stick to a small refractor, and particularly if it were for portable astronomy, I would perfer the HEQ5 by a long way. It is no less accurate, is perfectly competent with small refractors and is a sight less of a lump to set up. It's a very good mount. 

Olly

Worth bearing in mind that there is a significant difference in weight/bulk between the 5 and the 6. I can just about lift my NEQ6 plus tripod (but minus OTAs and counterweights) to carry it down two steps and outside to the patio. If you need to move it a longer distance you may have to break it down completely each time you take it out and bring it back in. With all the wiring that you need to add for an imaging set-up it can take a fair while to do that (plus more chance of a wasted imaging session chasing down gremlins). If you're taking it to a dark location then you'll probably have to break it down anyway, but lugging the NEQ6 mount head in the dark across a field is going to be harder work.

That said if you can pick up a decent 6 for a small amount more money, it will give you more options for future scope upgrades.

Yeah that's the drawback to the 6. Bit of a problem. I don't mind breaking it down though. Argh such a hard decision.

I too would go with the HEQ5 for a small 'frac, it'll easily handle a 80mm imaging 'scope / flattener / DSLR and ST80 / webcam guider.

Use this for learning while saving up for a serious jump from the NEQ6.

As you'll need a laptop anyway for camera and guiding, you can save a bit more by going for the Syntrek rather than Synscan version.

I too would go with the HEQ5 for a small 'frac, it'll easily handle a 80mm imaging 'scope / flattener / DSLR and ST80 / webcam guider.

Use this for learning while saving up for a serious jump from the NEQ6.

As you'll need a laptop anyway for camera and guiding, you can save a bit more by going for the Syntrek rather than Synscan version.

For guiding I put the cable into the bottom of the handset as it doesn't click into the guider port

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spoon

HEQ5.

By the time you out grow it lets say three years or more you will be in a position the think about that mesu.

Then again you might have to wait another thirty years for it [emoji6]

I think I probably will get the HEQ as I don't think the NEQ6 will get loads of use as A levels will take up a LOT of time and then university means I won't be at home for 10 months a year

Cam

Archived