Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PIPP's got the shakes...

I have been using PIPP to process my video captures for a while now. But after capturing Lunar videos from Saturday night I do not seem to get the expected results from PIPP.

Basically even though I select the video and choose Solar /Lunar close up option and then start processing the resultant video is identical to the original, in other word PIPP has not eliminated any shaking at all.

I thought I would upgrade to the latest version v2.3.7 but this still suffers the same issue.

I tested it by selecting the Planetary option and this seems to place a grey box around the target showing that something has been altered but the resultant video is not of any use for lunar images and it is severely cropped.
Lastly I even tested it on videos I have used with PIPP before and it still does not seem to work.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

You can use PIPP to crop and centre a target but it will not eliminate poor seeing from a video. I ues it to crop, centre and convert individual frames from an avi to TIF format which I then stack to create a final image. This reduces the effects of poor seeing / stability. I have no tracking on my mount either so targets track across the field of view, hence crop and centre are really very useful.

Perhaps someone else who uses it for this purpose will be better able to help.

Thanks David. Yes this is what I have used PIPP for in the past. Mainly to overcome the small drifting from the mount. I appreciate it does not eliminate poor seeing but there was an occasional slight breeze on Saturday and this has previously been largely eliminated with PIPP before but in my case other than the file size going down the two files i.e. pre and post PIPP are identical which is not correct.

I guess I will try another PC to eliminate that from the equation...

PIPP cannot as yet centre Lunar or Solar footage as the whole frame is full of data , in planetary mode it can pick out the planet from the essentially black background.

In Lunar and Solar it just sorts frames by quality and reorders them , any jumpiness will still be there dependent on where the feature was located on the chip at the time , it can appear to make things worse in fact.

I believe Chris is thinking of adding a ROI feature to enable centering of Lunar/Solar AVIs using a crater or sunspot as a reference , well that's what I've been pestering him for ...  :p

Ok thanks guys just tried on a different PC with the same results.

I was certain that I could use PIPP on lunar close ups to reduce shakiness.

It seems to be working on Planetary with a Planets as the AVI so I must be just getting confused.

That's said is there any other application out there that may help reduce shaking on a lunar close?

Thanks

Archived