Again trouble - 14mm ES 82 vs Meade UWA 5000

cpper

In this topic I was asking what replacement eyepiece I should buy instead of the Meade 14mm UWA 82 degree, which, someone informed me, will not be available till September. You people said that the ES 14mm 82 degree is also a good eyepiece, and I should consider to buy it.

However, it  seems it happens what I was afraid of: The Meade begins to be available in some stores. That means, both 82 degree could be in stock at the time my friend visits America(he will buy it). I will buy either will be in stock.

But...if both are in stock, then which should I choose ? Should I flip a coin ?

Or did someone tested both and found one better ?

My unusual hope is that just one of them will be in stock  :grin:

optically no difference between ES or meade 5000 series.only difference in ergonomics.ES has a fold up "nagler" type rubber eye guard where meade 5000 series have the twist up body.

however,if it was me,i would try and find the meade 4000 series UWA in 14mm.Doesnt matter if its the 1st series smoothside or 2nd with rubber eye guard,but what matters is that this Ep will be superior to both of ES or Meade 5000 and will cost also possibly if not the same,maybe even cheaper.unless you are not interested in 82-84 deg range,then strong suggestion get Delos.185-200 quid for used and there will be nothing what can beat Delos currently.

Tend to agree with Dude with the tube, we all seem to believe the optics on these are the same, this is the case on the Meade prodced ones from a few years back when both camps took eyepieces from JOC.

I am not sure that the newer ones from Meade which includes 5.5mm 8.8mm and 14mm are the same. These were being marketed with old stock 24mm and 30mm, there was also a 20mm advertised in the States which never seemed to happen. I am not at all sure the shorter 3 are made by JOC any longer, the 5.5mm and 8.8mm are slightly different to look at, I believe the 14mm is slightly different now as well. Look at the prices, the 14mm UWA was 180 quid or thereabouts, now 120, that's some difference. This is also backed up a little by comflicting reports as to how good or not so good this eyepieces was, I had the old 14mm UWA from 6 years back and it was very good indeed, I have read recently owners not so happy with the same titled eyepieces, eyepieces that were made I believe elsewhere. At the time Meade cancelled JOC orders and these were later sold under the flag of Maxvision by ExSC, funny enough one of them was I believe the 14mm UWA  which looked exacly like the S 5000 Meade.

Other Meade eyepieces also came in for the same make-over as Maxvisions but were clearly Meades in different trousers.

Bearing in mind I am not absolutely sure of the facts, I would say get a Maxvision 14mm UWA and that will be the same as I once had with a different coloured band around its middle, or like Dude also said get a Delos 14mm, it really is rather good.

Alan

It is a fair time since these came out, maybe a year of a little more. This is the page because I can, like you, see other Maxvisions offered on there. The 14mm ExSc is a very good eyepiece and in view of what I have said about the possible differences in the Meade one, I would get your friend to get this.

Alan.

Alan, I couldn't find the maxvision 14mm, could you please give me a link ?

There is no MV 14mm UWA - Just a 16mm SWA.

As far as I'm aware, the only UWA in the MV lineup was the 24mm.

Going back to the ES82 14mm v Meade 14mm UWA debate, I'd let your preference for the eyecup be the decider. The Meade/MV is hard, but it does twist up further a shield better than the oft rubber of the ES.

Russell

when they first came out there was definitely  another uwa in the maxvision line up I think it was a 14mm.  but  they did disappear very quickly. strangely I havent see a single review so I do wonder who bought them.

Rowan,

I tend to agree with you, I am sure I recall one and I am fairly sure it was the 14mm, anyway it's not there now so it hardly matters.  I know I paid 179 quid for mine and sold it for much less thanks to the Maxvisions, another thing that leads me to say this.

I keep looking at the 40mm SWA, wish I still had mine, 149 euros, mine was 329. Some of us don't have much luck.

Alan

It was the 18mm that was available in the MaxVision range. I was sorely tempted, but they never came to "in stock", unlike the others.

In respect of the 14mm Meade's, the later version was the waterproof version, so is the series 5000 14mm WP eyepiece. The earlier version has no WP.

Adrian,

I do not believe it is the same eyepiece as the earlier ones there are just too many people that have claimed this new bunch have minor faults that the old ones didnot have, I am not the only one that has said this either, the lastest seems to suffer with fairly bad field curvicture the one I had did not. As I have said they are a lot cheaper as well now.

I firmly believe the 5.5mm 8.8mm and 14mm with water proofing are not the same, the other two 24mm and 30mm are just stock from many years back.

Alan

Cpper,

I fully understand I am in much the same boat as you, no secondhand market in our Countries.

I think you undestand what has been said and as the only real chance of getting the, we will say Mk1 Meade 14mm UWA is S/H then you have to go for the ExSc 14mm, which is hardly a bad thing.

Hope we have all helped.

Alan

thats the older type ES what wasnt great at first instance.newer type is a lot and i mean a lot better and equals meade.I had full set of Meade 5000 uwas ,never the less,i have now 30mm ES 82 deg and it is stunning Ep.Matches 31mm nagler optically and beats nagler price wise .

good luck with whatever you get.

Archived