NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New APO in the elephant house

GordonH

Hello fellow night owls

I came back from Astrofest with my new TMB 115 f7 APO (cnc version) which I had preordered, I had mulled over this for a while as I wanted a scope to match my H36 camera and eventually decided on this one. It is beautifully made with a really solid and smooth 3.5 inch focuser. I couldn't wait to get it out and try it and as luck would have it the weather was pretty good on Monday and Tuesday so I have been having a little play with it and it is showing great potential. First light results can be seen on my website

www.imagingtheheavens.co.uk under star clusters and nebulae in the image gallery.

Clear and sleepless nights to all

Gordon :D :D :lol:

post-13589-133877337727_thumb.jpg

Hi

why does it have a 3.5 inch focusser? I have only seen 1.25 and 2" EP's?

I think the increase in 3.5 and 4 inch focusers is partly due to the increase in large heavy loads that are being put on the back of telescopes nowadays particularly with the large format cameras weighing in excess of 2-3kg the extra size helps reduce the risk of flexure. Also the extra width helps reduce the effects of vignetting, I am waiting for a dedicated field flattener which attaches straight to the 3.5 inch focuser and attaches to the camera on the other end, this will negate the need for a two inch extension tube. You would be amazed at just how solid and smooth this focuser feels, it is incredible.

Regards

Gordon :D

Archived