Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Stratus 3.5mm

Hi folks

I am considering my high power EP options for use with my Orion ED80 f7.5 .....  Does anyone have any experience of using the Orion Stratus 3.5mm?  Is it good/bad or indifferent?  I'm looking for a good performer for high power lunar observing and tight double-star splitting .....  At a £128 price-tag, how close in quality to a Tele View or a Pentax XW equivalent are you with the Stratus 3.5?

Many thanks in advance for any info given :D

Donaldo

The Orion Stratus is the same eyepiece as the Baader Hyperion. Not quite in the same class as a Pentax XW or Tele Vue Delos but a nice eyepiece in an F/7.5 scope none the less.

The Hyperions are less expensive (£96) to buy new BUT they have now dropped the 3.5mm from the Hyperion range, which is a shame. You may be able to pick up a used one for £60-£70 though.

If that is the case I agree it will not be in the same class as the Pentax and Delos, in fact in a  V fast scope it will not even be close and 128 quid is a lot of money for a Hyperion. The trouble is there is not that much on the market at this focal length.  Vixen could be worth a look but I have never had one in my hands.

Alan

If that is the case I agree it will not be in the same class as the Pentax and Delos, in fact in a  V fast scope it will not even be close and 128 quid is a lot of money for a Hyperion. The trouble is there is not that much on the market at this focal length.  Vixen could be worth a look but I have never had one in my hands.

Alan

The Vixen LVW's are very nice eyepieces and very much in or around the Tele Vue / Pentax league. They are £185 each and the range includes a 3.5mm. Somewhat more expensive than the Hyperions or Stratus but around the same as a used Pentax XW.

The Hyperions and Stratus are chinese manuactured whereas the LVW's are still made in Japan.

Think I might be interested in trying a Vixen LVW 3.5 too ... If they are really 'up there' with the TV and Pentax 3.5s ... I just want one very good quality high mag option for those occasions when the sky is crystal clear and steady, and cold! :D But I'm also still pondering over the 3-6mm Nagler zoom ... There's one going for a good price in the classified just now .... Probably just at the wrong time for me though, need to be saving pennies and easing off the credit card!!! But temptation is always round the corner for me ... You're always just 'one eye-piece away' from thinking you'll be happy! But maybe I'm really ok with what I've got along with my Shorty Plus Barlow .....???

Thanks for all the advice guys :)

Donaldo

Not that I need another eyepiece but before long I am going to have to try one of these, that of course means buying one.

Alan

Alan, it sounds like you're determined to build a barn :grin:

Yes Yong I will be moving in very soon, fresh straw is on order.

Donaldo.

John is a man that would know how good the Vixen eyepieces are and he is well used to his own Pentax and Televues. However I am sure that he will not mind me saying that he was unable to get on with the Nagler zoom you mention. I on the other hand like the Nagler zoom a great deal, it would be a very good eyepiece for you I am sure. I put a review together which included the zoom at 6mm setting, 6mm Delos and 6mm BGO, it is in the equipment review section.

The differences would be FOV which is a consistant 50 degrees and eye-relief which is 10mm, quality wise there is not much in it between any of them but it goes without saying the two fixed focal length eyepieces are slightly better.

Alan

Archived