NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What are the views like through the dobsonians bigger than 10"?

Manok101

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great post Joves.

I would add to my original post that in all fairness, most galaxies will always be blobs unless from dark skies and with good aperture. even then, it's often only the brighter ones that show any sort of structure. the difference aperture often makes at home is being able to see the blob or not.

Hi Manok,

I completely understand where you are coming from. Living in downtown Sydney, I have far from dark skies. For me, visually, I try to take satisfaction for seeing anything at all when it comes to faint galaxies and nebula when viewing from home. Moonless nights are definitely the key, but the view is not nearly as impressive or beautiful as it is when I get away to a darker sky (which isn't very often at all).

If I'm in the mood for detail (and I mean, CRAZY detail better than visual even under dark skies) I hook up my Mallincam integrating video camera. I'd urge you to at least look into video astronomy if you really do insist on seeing great detail from light polluted skies. The view is practically live, the detail is amazing, you have the ability to see beautiful nebula in all it's glorious natural colour, and the learning curve isn't anywhere near as large or daunting as imaging. It really is an awesome compliment to visual astronomy.

Better still, you can pick up cameras which will provide awesome results for only a couple of hundred dollars. Here are a few screen shots of the type of detail y can achieve, with the need for any stacking or post processing. The pic of Saturn actually has been stacked, but just wanted to give you an example of how you can get on with planetary images from a video cam. And, to be honest, this is my first and only attempt, so I really have no idea what I am doing.

Hope is helps.

Aaron

Can you hook a camera like that to a dob at all?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would have to track I'm afraid. I guess the point of the reply was more to consider video astronomy with a much smaller scope on a motorised mount, rather than invest in a larger dob, if you're keen to see large amounts of detail in practically real-time without transporting your scope to darker skies.

Archived