NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ISS - just captured a .SER file???? HELP

hi guys i just captured some footage of the ISS with my QHY5L-ii and it gave me a .ser file which i have never seen before and i can not open it, normally it gives me an AVI? so i dont know what going on, can anyone shed any light on this .ser file pleaseeeee, im so frustrated by this :(

edit, would my avi data still be in the .ser file somewhere?  :crybaby2:  :crybaby2:  :crybaby2:  :crybaby2:

dont worry panic over lol, pipp accepts the .ser file so i have not lost my data lol, and ive found out why firecapture changed it from avi to .ser as i clicked on .ser next to the capture button lol, its now back to avi and im going to have another go at the ISS in an hour's time as at 0.4ms its still too bright!

SER is just another format for collecting together streams of image frames.  It's rather simpler than an AVI, though I think it allows for better timestamping of frames.  As you've discovered, a number of astro applications handle them quite happily.  I think AutoStakkert!2 and Registax will read the format quite happily too.

James

SER is just another format for collecting together streams of image frames.  It's rather simpler than an AVI, though I think it allows for better timestamping of frames.  As you've discovered, a number of astro applications handle them quite happily.  I think AutoStakkert!2 and Registax will read the format quite happily too.

James

thanks James, yes at 1st i had a bit of a hissy fit thinking i lost my data to a file that would not open lol

thanks James, yes at 1st i had a bit of a hissy fit thinking i lost my data to a file that would not open lol

Ah, yes, that is the other side of the coin.  Because it's primarily intended for storing data for astro-imaging, pretty much nothing outside the astro arena will read it.

James

I've never attempted it, but I believe you can stack a sequence of images if you can capture them fast enough.  If there are significant differences between the frames though I think you'll struggle.

James

I've never attempted it, but I believe you can stack a sequence of images if you can capture them fast enough.  If there are significant differences between the frames though I think you'll struggle.

James

Thanks James, ill have a play about with stacking tomorrow then :) i might be surprised, im not capturing at the fastest frame rate tho where im using max res to make sure i capture it as i am using a x2 barlow which is cutting my view in half all ready, so im limited to about 10-15fps where the res of the QHY is at max, 

im struggling to stay awake now for the 11:50pm pass lol but ill quickly grab that data then hit the sack i think

Archived