NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Filter for globs and galaxies

cpper

I'm looking for a filter that would enhance galaxy and globular cluster viewing. I read that there is theoretical no filter for that - since galaxies and stars in the globs emit light over the entire spectrum. However, from you experience, is there any filter that gave you a better view of galaxies and globs ? 

I've not found one, having used a number of broadband, narrowband and line filters over the years. As was once said on another forum, probably the best investment to improve the views of galaxies and globular clusters is to put some petrol in your car and drive yourself and the scope to some dark skies   :smiley:

As above,dark skies make all the difference.I've not used a filter that enhances globs or galaxies but increased aperture sure does help

Good point aperture, I forgot to mention that.  I was only looking at M13 last night with the 10" Newt and realising the huge difference between it and the 6" Frac.  Also with Globular Clusters do not be afraid to rack up the power, I was using my 8mm Hyperion last night, fantastic views.

Archived