laser collimator

Hi all,

Just got a laser collimator and find its a bit loose in the focuser, any ideas on how to stabilse it a bit better as is giving incorrect colimation results each time used, have tried a little tape on the shank but was wondering if anyone has had similar and found a more permanent method.

Jamie

The first laser collimator I bought was a cheap 1 1/4" fit and not very good. There was always room for errors with the 2" to 1 1/4" adaptors. I invested in a decent quality 2" fit collimator and to tell the truth it's one of the best accessories I ever brought. Collimation is now always bang on- I have no doubts it has improved my images.

jamie56.....hi, I now use a Cheshire to align the telescope until the final primary mirror set-up.  I use the Barlowed laser method. For this reason alone it makes no difference  how sloppy the laser is ?

I also  taped around my  Gen-II  laser but never found a happy or tidy solution.  I've seen  2" lasers mentioned before, but that limits you to only 2" fittings . And centre  rings are often mentioned, but if the laser cant centre, why should the ring make such a difference?

For a while, I never tightened the focuser pins to secure the laser in-place, its often this action that causes the mis-alignment ? it shouldn't  fall out,  if you take care.  EP's will do the same, just not  noticeable when you tighten the EP screws

Oh! the joys of laser ownership.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived