NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

longditude problem

well it may be

when I use my GPS on my phone it says 04 - 06 - 7.9 and google seems to confirm this using its co ordinates

but when I look at weather maps online some report my location as -04 - 06

this has got me thinking as my goto is pretty much spot on from park but CdC and Stellarium are off by about 8 deg

and always by the same amount which is no big deal as I just move it then sync it to lock the position

my question is living just outside Glasgow I'd be on the left hand side of the GMT line looking at a map so I assume the 04 - 06 is correct
but that depends on which way its counted ( I assumed that it goes westward) so I may have it back to front

any help on this, is Glasgow around +04 or -04 from the GMT line

Glasgow is West so would be -ve.

Sorry not familiar with the format you give.

Assume it is 4 degrees, 6 minutes ans 7.9 seconds, but it is negative not positive.

If you were out by 8 degrees that is in terms of time just over 30 minutes and I doubt any goto can handle that.

If the values are given without the negative then I assume it is missing a big W somewhere as in 004  06  07.9 W(est).

Without the W the information is incorrect as it is either negative or West.

Which Glasgow are you in?

When I check out Glasgow I get results from 4.12 through 4.25 at least they are all West !

No wonder you have conflicts.

Why not change CdC etc to match your known GPS?

I always thought + East, - West ?

To put you in the ballpark -

To the West of Glasgow - Paisley is 4 degrees 25' West

To the East of Glasgow - Motherwell is 3 degrees 58' West

and in line with the City centre - East Kilbride is 4 degrees 10' West

so depending where you are it should be in line with the above numbers - sometimes Westings are shown as a minus instead of West and Eastings are shown as positive.

thanks guys

I pretty much 99% certain I had it correct and it was not -04 but just to put my mind at rest
as to the 4.12 - 4.25 I'd imagine thats about the correct range depending exactly where you are in Glasgow
I'm to the south and slightly east

all my software and GOTO have the exact same settings, I've just never got to the bottom of the 8 degree error

but as I said I can correct it in a matter of seconds then sync seems to take care of the rest from there

Archived