Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar Impact Flashes

Discord

Hey there fellow amateur astronomers,

I'm currently doing a project on lunar impact flashes and will be taking observations with two remotely controlled telescope across the next year, when the weather is permitting and the Earthshine is optimal (having a good amount of shadow of the moon to allow the meteor impacts to show up). My main telescope is a 10" Meade telescope. I am using the data from videos captured by the telescopes to produce a light curve of the impact flashes, with the main question being "how does atmospheric distortion and other factors effect the image of the impact flash?" To find this out I need have as many independent sources of the same impact as possible, from various part of the UK and Ireland. So my question is, does anyone here take videos or images of lunar impact flashes or are planning to in the near future?

Thank you for reading,

Rachael, K.

Rachael,

This sounds very exciting project indeed and I for one will be willing to assist should you require any assistance.

I have not dabbled in any kind of astro-photography / video. However, I am very interested in the Lunar impacts and other sources of Lunar surface light incidents that have been observed.

If you do mange to record any it would be great to see the results :smiley:

Hey there,

Very glad you're interested in the topic, it's not too difficult to observe them, though it may take some time to see one. You are most likely to see one if you observe in a predicted meteor shower. In the observing group I am in the middle of create I will be giving times to members where they are most likely to see them, and when the illumination of the moon is right. Do you have access to a telescope? And if you do what are it's specs?

Thank you for your time,

Rachael.

Observing possible lunar meteor impacts is something I have had a dabble with occasionally. I have the equipment in place to do this, a Watec video camera and GPS video time inserter which  records onto laptop hard drive. I take my dates and times to observe from the BAA Lunar Monthly circular. This is included in the TLP observing list which is maintained by Dr Anthony Cook of the University of Wales Aberystwyth. However I have not reached the stage of using software to automatically do the impact detection of my captured AVI`s, so that restricts the amount of impact observing that I actually do. 

Hey there,

Very glad you're interested in the topic, it's not too difficult to observe them, though it may take some time to see one. You are most likely to see one if you observe in a predicted meteor shower. In the observing group I am in the middle of create I will be giving times to members where they are most likely to see them, and when the illumination of the moon is right. Do you have access to a telescope? And if you do what are it's specs?

Thank you for your time,

Rachael.

Rachael

I have an Sky Watcher Equinox-80 PRO. Its great for viewing the Moon, it delivers very sharp views indeed :smiley:

• Highest Practical Power (Potential): x240
  • Objective Lens Diameter: 80mm
  • Telescope Focal Length: 500mm (f/6.25)

What scope do you have ?

Observing possible lunar meteor impacts is something I have had a dabble with occasionally. I have the equipment in place to do this, a Watec video camera and GPS video time inserter which  records onto laptop hard drive. I take my dates and times to observe from the BAA Lunar Monthly circular. This is included in the TLP observing list which is maintained by Dr Anthony Cook of the University of Wales Aberystwyth. However I have not reached the stage of using software to automatically do the impact detection of my captured AVI`s, so that restricts the amount of impact observing that I actually do. 

Hey there phil,

I am actually organising this project, alongside Anthony using two remote telescope rigs in Aberystwyth. I am also using his observing times as a template for when the group will be observing. There will be an article in the July BAA monthly circular with more details on the subject, and I believe I may be able to help you in the detection of impact flashes from your captured AVI. Since I will be having to do the same thing will my videos.

Kinds regards

Rachael KIng

Rachael

I have an Sky Watcher Equinox-80 PRO. Its great for viewing the Moon, it delivers very sharp views indeed :smiley:

• Highest Practical Power (Potential): x240
  • Objective Lens Diameter: 80mm
  • Telescope Focal Length: 500mm (f/6.25)

What scope do you have ?

Hey Pig,

I will be using a 10" Meade telescope, the model escapes me right now, but it is capable to view imapct flashes down the 10th magnitude.

Rachael K.

Rachael, funnily enough I had got in contact with Tony Cook recently to question him about his selection criteria for lunar impacts and he did drop me a mail today to mention your project.

I would think you have my email by now. Because of my interest in occultations I already have been collecting footage of moonshine, so it makes sense for me to attempt impact detection.

Hey Pig,

I will be using a 10" Meade telescope, the model escapes me right now, but it is capable to view imapct flashes down the 10th magnitude.

Rachael K.

That's a whopper :smiley:  have you seen any live flashes ?

That's a whopper :smiley:  have you seen any live flashes ?

Not quite yet, only started viewing at the start of the month... and the telescope in Aberystwyth... not knowing as sunny Aberystywth. But will be right on it when I have a break in the weather. :) 

Archived