Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher EQ3 PRO: good choice for an ST102?

Lee_P

Hi all,

I’m doing some investigations into a new mount for my Skywatcher ST102 and have come across the Skywatcher EQ3 PRO (http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq3-pro-synscan-goto.html) Does anybody have any thoughts of / experience with this combination?

At most the telescope would be hooked up to a Nikon D700 camera, leading to a combined weight of 4kg, which seems a decent amount under what the website above suggests.

I know that the EQ5 would be more stable, but it’s also more expensive and a lot heavier. Portability is definitely a factor. The EQ3 legs seem to be the same as my current AZ3, and they’re stable when not extended.

I’m not too sure how this mount is powered. Does it take batteries, or does it need a power pack?

Finally, am I right in thinking that this mount could be hooked up to a PC using EQMOD?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

-          Lee

I had one for a couple of years until I swapped it for some other bits and pieces at SGL9 as I had  got an NEQ-6 for home use  and an Astrotrac for portable use...

I used to use it mainly for Widefied with a DSLR and Camera lenses  - it was as portable as I needed it to be and a cheaper alternative than the Asrotrac for my needs at the time...

I ran it from a power tank and yes it can be hooked up to a PC using EQDIR and EQMOD...

I used to use it with the tripod legs closed up as well...

Peter...

I used a couple of scopes on it on days when I couldn't be bothered to setup the  HEQ-5 or NEQ-6...

The largest and longest scope I used on it was a Lyra Optics 102mm f11 setup as a solar scope... It was OK in still conditions but did vibrate a bit whe the breeze got up... Seeign as it was beign used for high frame rate solar imaging it was OK...

As long as you properly balanced the scope it would slew nicely...

Peter...

Hi There

i use an eq3-2 at the moment with my 150P, ive found it pretty good does have a bit of wobble with my scope but the 102 should be a lot lighter an hopefully take some of the wobble out. ive also hooked it up to a laptop running thro EQMOD & using either stellarium or carte de ciel worked quite well a was a bit more accurate than the synscan, even thou most of the time i use just the synscan as i dont get much time during week to set it all up. i bought a mains power supply from FLO, or can use my cheapy power pack.

hope this helps

regards

john

If you are certainly going to be using a laptop/PC then I wouldn't buy it.

£210 of your budget is going into the GOTO not the mount. £175 Mount only. £385 inc GOTO as per OP.

For £238 you can have a much sturdier EQ5 on stainless 1pc legs.

add in £88 for motors.

and about £90 for an AstroEQ from TCWORLD.

You arrive at £416 as opposed to £385, hardly a huge difference for a much better and possibly future resistant setup. All required software is FREE. (EQMOD, ASCOM suite, CdC/Stellarium/HNSKY)

Prices taken from FLO + IIRC what I paid for AstroEQ.

Check my sig I have both mounts, and use a 150/750 SW Newt on the EQ3. Although lighter than the EQ5 there is really not much in it in terms of portability.

HTH,

Rich

Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies. It sounds like this mount would be stable enough for me.

Rich, to answer your point, I'd like to use it with my desktop PC but as I have no laptop then having built-in GOTO would be very helpful for adventures away from home. I understand your point about having a future-proof mount though.

John, do you have a link to your cheapy power pack?

Thanks again,

- Lee

Hi Lee

http://astronomia.co.uk/index.php/portable-power-station-300-amp.html

this is the one that i bought, unfortunately gone up a bit since i got it but you maybe able to find it somewhere else cheaper, it keeps a pretty long charge but another option most people will probably point you towards is a leisure battery as very heavy duty.

regards

john

Archived