NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is it normal to have some degree of difficulty when learning how to use a Barlow lens? Mine came with a 3x and I attempted using it on Saturn tonight. I had it unfocused but in view with the Barlow and had trouble keeping it in view while focusing, this is my first planetary attempt with the Barlow as beige I had been practicing on the moon to get the idea of how it works in general.

The object in view, in this case Saturn will move through the field of view much faster with the barlow + eyepiece due to the much higher magnification, this will make focusing a harder task, plus you may well find using a barlow gives you to much magnification 

Yes, the Barlow will both make focusing trickier (lots more vibration as you adjust focus), and will men if you don't have a tracking mount, or your tracking is poor, the object will scoot off out of the FoV much quicker than without using the barlow.

Jd

Archived