Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Purchasing a Used Telescope, What to look for.

I found the exact scope I have been saving for (Orion XT10) used online the other day. Judging from the photos it looks like it's in excellent condition. I'm maybe four months into this hobby and I've been saving to purchase this scope new. I'm wondering what I should look for when inspecting it? I know to look for obvious damage and to give it a close once over. That being said I would appreciation any advice on what else to look for. I also have no problem waiting a little longer and purchase it new, just to be safe.

Thanks

Ask the right questions make sure the seller knows a little about the scope etc. This will show he is genuine and knows how to take care of a scope. Hope that has some help there will be other stuff to look out for... hopefully other sgl members can chip in. 

As per jonathon, generally try to get a feel for the seller. Applies to anything specialized, if the guy is an enthusiast this will shine through and can help you to determine that the kit has been looked after.

Going to the sellers place is a must for me, I only picked up the 200P because it was within a day's drive.

I would say check the optics and mechanical bits primarily and concentrate less on cosmetics. Small dents in a tube don't usually have a huge impact on performance but might indicate it having been dropped which could have caused other problems. Also give the focuser a few turns and see if the knob is running true or moving back and forth a bit. Perhaps check the back of the mirror for damage and look at the various screw heads to see if any have been mushed through over-zealous tightening.

Are any of the screws/bolts obvious replacements? This could indicate it has been taken apart (although we all lose screws from time to time and taking apart could also mean well-maintained!).

Maybe ask if there is an original receipt if you feel comfortable doing that. Some people might be a bit funny about this but I had no problem handing over original invoices to show purchase dates and original ownership. Heck, they already knew my address!

cheers, hope it goes well

as above , i always check optics, mechanics and cosmetics in that order. and judge accordingly. If you do feel unsure ask someone along, two sets of eyes and two heads are better than one.

All my scopes are secondhand, some like new, some needed tlc , but all had at least optics in great condition, (ie. only needing a clean).

Goto Mounts are trickier to test in the day but check for freedom of movement and signs of rust or abuse.

Archived