detailed star atlas

I am after a star atlas that will tell me the name of every star in the sky down to magnitude 9.0 so that I can write detailed notes on my images...

I typed in M13 in stellarium and it took me there but only showed me where it was in the sky which I already knew, is there anything more detailed available? maybe I am using stellarium wrong?

any advice please?

Neil.

Launch stellarium and click on the spanner "Configuration Window" then click on information and that will give you the tools to set up all the required fields that you need. You can also go into "sky and viewing options" Which will let you set magnitude limits etc. Hope this helps you out. 

In Cartes du Ciel, download and install extra catalogues, TYCHO-2 will get you down below 12 (bout 60MB) and give the kind of detail you are looking for.

Even zoomed in on M13 on a 18.6" laptop it will fill the screen with labels. Way more than you would ever annotate on an image.

Or if slightly mad, add in UCAC4 at a hefty 7GB it is worth only adding for the Northern hemisphere + perhaps equator.

Stellarium also has the facility to download and install additional catalogues - there are 9 of them the first 4 of which are included in the standard program and go down to Mag 10.5 (the 9th catalogue takes you down to Mag 18). You will find the download facility under the Tools Tab in the Settings window. (f2)

You may just need to go into Sky and viewing options window (F4) - Sky Tab and use the markers sliders to set the level of detail that you want.

Archived