NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nikon D5000 imaging trouble

Hi Just wondered if anyone had any advice on imaging with the Nikon D5000. I have had no problems imaging the Moon. However when it comes to planetary imaging its leaving a lot to be desired.  I can see for example Jupiter through the eyepiece visually with 25mm wide angle lens then swap to 10mm lens and great got a real good view of Jupiter and four moons. However when I use live view I can see Jupiter with eyepiece correction and  25mm lens all be it small image, but when I swap to the 10mm lens increasing magnification I cannot get anything at all.  I am thinking do I have to purchase an Astro  type web cam.

I have tried prime focus but this has resulted in the same, nothing.  I am presuming that with the 10mm lens attached the focuser cannot go down far enough for the sensor in the DSLR to register any image.

I have tried settings on "BULB" and varied exposures and shutter speeds but this has once again  resulted in nothing .  The telescope is the older version of the Sky Watcher explorer 150P, sky blue coloured OTA.  This model has the rack and pinion type focuser, not like the new version which has the much better Crayford focuser. (may have to upgrade focuser!!!). I have only been doing this for a couple of months so I am a real newbie. Steep learning curve and all that.

Has anyone had similar problems.

More than likely after adding the extra weight of the Barlow & camera, the whole lot has dropped a little & the planet is not in the narrower field of view. You may also have to adjust your focus & exposure to compensate for the barlow. Try focusing the barlowed set up on a distant object during the day or on the moon at night, this will then take away one of the variables & make it a bit easier to centre smaller dimmer objects at night.

Archived