NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AstroZap Dew Heater - should it feel warm?

I have a new AstroZap Dew Heater which I wrapped around my CPC1100 earlier this evening. It is connected to the same battery pack that is running the scope tracking, which is working normally.

Should the tape feel warm?

Should the part of the OTA that is under the tape feel warm?

Both of the above feel to be the same temperature as everything else and I have no idea whether or not it is working :huh:

Straight to the battery. The description on FLO says a controller isn't required for scopes over 10".

It isn't particularly cold outside tonight so I'll give it another go on a colder night and see what happens.

Mine only feel marginally warm - really hard to tell the difference really.  I know they work as others around me are packing up and I can stay out all night regardless of humidity

It certainly worked. The scope was out from 8pm until 2pm uncovered with not a hint of condensation on the corrector plate. Very pleased :smile:

I have mine on a controller, never quite sure what power level I need for any given night (by the time it starts to dew up it's probably too late).  If I have my controller on the highest setting and hold the tape in my hand I can feel some warmth but it isn't much, when this is on the cold scope the heat will probably not be detectable, but hopefully just enough to keep the corrector plate above the dew point.

Archived