Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First time user help and advice.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope you have a chair near by when it arrives - you're going to want to sit down (you'll need that same chair when you look through it the first time as well!) - your daughter will be very pleased indeed.

Building it is a very straightforward job (honest!!) but will take about 15-20 minutes to put together. It might be an idea to assemble it after your daughters gone to bed, then if you do have any last minute problems/ questions you can post them on here and the finished article can be waiting for her in the morning?

:saturn:

Johnny,

Gaz is right, it is fairly straighforward to build but you would be better getting it put together the evening before - I got myself a Skyliner 200p in early Jan. and put together the mount in the early part of an evening as soon as I came back from work on the day of delivery; so I should hopefully be in a decent position to offer assistance if needed!

I did have to adjust the nut on the base board a few times over the next few days as I initially had it too tight which was restricting the azimuth movement. Probably still need to do some modifications as I would like the movement smoother but not really a problem as it is.

I thought the 200p was a bit of a beast, more used to it now, can't imagine what you thought of the 250 when it turned up!

Thanks for all your replies guys.

It is now built up, and I have set the finderscope up to a crows nest about 3/4 mile away.

Hopefully that will be accurate enough to get us started.

There are two ep's, 10mm and 25mm.

How much are we going to be able to see with these two ep's?

Are we restricted to the moon at the moment, or will they allow us to see further?

I'm still trying to get my head around all the magnifications and focal lengths etc.

The scope is hidden by the way.

I don't think we will be using it this weekend. Beth is taking four friends ice skating, and then a sleepover

for her birthday. Just so my little lad isn't left out, he is also taking one of his friends and having him

sleepover too.

So, Sunday night, I am going to lock myself in my room and drink lots of cans........

The magnification is the focal length of your telescope divided by the focal length of the eyepiece used, so

the 10mm eyepiece will give 1200/10 = 120 mag

the 25mm eyepiece will give 1200/25 = 48 mag

When the Moon is past half full (as it will be next week) its so bright that it becomes hard to see much else. Saturn and Mars are obvious targets (don't expect too much out of Mars though, its well past its best) as is M42 in Orion.

The magnification is the focal length of your telescope divided by the focal length of the eyepiece used, so

the 10mm eyepiece will give 1200/10 = 120 mag

the 25mm eyepiece will give 1200/25 = 48 mag

When the Moon is past half full (as it will be next week) its so bright that it becomes hard to see much else. Saturn and Mars are obvious targets (don't expect too much out of Mars though, its well past its best) as is M42 in Orion.

So would a 2x Barlow make them 240 and 96?

Thanks Daz, I think I've got this now.

So my focal length is 1200/254(diameter of primary mirror)= 4.7........ rounded up =f5?

Congratulations on the purchase & progress - you're in for a great time.

Terminology: your focal length is 1200. You've correctly calculated your focal ratio as f5.

- Richard

Archived