NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope control using a tablet

Telescope control yes, all-be-it via a laptop. In fact it's a tablet controlling a laptop, with all of its software, which is actually controlling the mount, the telescope and everything attached to them. Why bother? I love imaging but I don't much like the to and fro' when setting up on cold winter nights . The setup usually takes me about 20 minutes from start to finish but less than 10 mins when using the tablet.

To acheive this I needed to get a booster for my router(£25) and install 'Teamviewer 9' (Free) to both my laptop and tablet.

It allows me to have my laptop inside away from the elements and to operate the system from anywhere in the house, including the armchair, and outside adjacent to the telescope setup.

Not everyones cup of tea but works for me.

Clear skies.

I recall someone on CN developed or modified software for control from a smart phone, also I think Skywatcher have software for smart phone control on one of their systems.

It makes sense even if you have to be outside and not too far from the scope.

The world is effectively moving towards this approach and a smart phone is as big as the handsets and has more potential. Even if it is just no cable being present it is a good improvement. Sure that they could all add a small Wifi and wifi dongle to the basic handset so you didn't have a cable.

Works for me too using my iPad - VNC viewer does the trick... My imaging setup merely needed me to be at my laptop but I recently started trying video astronomy with a little cam that requires buttons to be pressed on the back of it. Rather than carry a laptop at the eyepiece/cam whilst pressing buttons I just use the iPad.... Anything for an easy life :)

James

I recall someone on CN developed or modified software for control from a smart phone, also I think Skywatcher have software for smart phone control on one of their systems.

It makes sense even if you have to be outside and not too far from the scope.

The world is effectively moving towards this approach and a smart phone is as big as the handsets and has more potential. Even if it is just no cable being present it is a good improvement. Sure that they could all add a small Wifi and wifi dongle to the basic handset so you didn't have a cable.

Was it iastrohub? I just read the thread over on CN and it sounds really interesting! The clever chap has written software to control the mount, guiding and imaging from one of those TV sticks, very clever!

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6486893/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/all/vc/1

I use a similar system. A small intel atom powered pc the size of a childs shoe box that sits at the scope, configured as a wireless access point and connect directly to it with my nexus 7. No need for routers or lans or internet. The control computer runs off 12v dc so as soon as i make a suitable power source it will be a completely standalone system that will work at any location however remote.

New nexus 7 screen runs at 1920x1200 and gives a glorious display with RDP controlled with an OTG cable and wireless mouse.

Archived