NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Need Help Stabilizing my Telescope

Hi there I'm a absolute beginner astronomer here, looking for some help balancing all my equipment. I just recently purchased my first telescope, a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ (with motordrive.) So far I'm really liking it, I even managed to shoot a short HD video of the moon with it (link below.) I am however having some issues balancing my scope. The main problem I'm having is that one side of my scope (the side with the eyepiece) is too heavy, causing the whole scope to be unstable. It's an even bigger problem when I attach my DSLR to the telescope. So anyways from what I hear having your scope in balance is extremely important, so I was just wondering if anyone knew of any quick and cheap solutions to achieving better balance with my telescope. Also any other beginner astronomy tips will be greatly appreciated. :laugh:

Thanks, Malcolm

When you are going to be using it with the camera attached I would recommend rotating the 'scope in the rings so that the focuser is pointing along the same line as the counterweights.

This will eliminate the serious balance issue but will make framing and focus a little tricky , to help with this I would run a long USB lead from the camera to a laptop and monitor things on a big screen from a distance.

When you are going to be using it with the camera attached I would recommend rotating the 'scope in the rings so that the focuser is pointing along the same line as the counterweights.

This will eliminate the serious balance issue but will make framing and focus a little tricky , to help with this I would run a long USB lead from the camera to a laptop and monitor things on a big screen from a distance.

Ok that definitely sounds like a good quick fix. I also heard that another option is to add a counterweight on the opposite side of the eyepiece at the front or rear of the scope. Would this actually work? If so, Is there anyway to DIY this kind of a setup?

Thanks, Malcolm           :laugh:

I'm not familiar with the scope but looking at a picture of it on Google (where else?) if you you have the focuser/slr opposite the counterweights then it should balnace ok side to side. The problem then may be it is front/back heavy. You may be able to slide it up/down in the dovetail to then get it balanced. Just be careful! Once it is balanced make some marks or put tape on the tube & mount to record the position so you can set it up quickly next time. Someone with more experience with this scope & mount may have better advice - I'm just judging this from a single picture.

Ok that definitely sounds like a good quick fix. I also heard that another option is to add a counterweight on the opposite side of the eyepiece at the front or rear of the scope. Would this actually work? If so, Is there anyway to DIY this kind of a setup?

Thanks, Malcolm           :laugh:

Hi Malcolm.  I do think that Steve's idea in post # 2 is a good one.

However, if you do wish to add counterweights opposite the focuser, that does work, but of course the weight of the tube assembly is increased, perhaps not ideal.  If the tube is steel, you can add a magnetic weight.   You can experiment by taping a weight to the tube.

In the past, I've made counterweights using small pieces of sheet lead in an old tobacco tin, but there are many other options. Around your home are likely to be lots of temporary bits & bobs to experiment with, if you don't have a shed full of stuff like me, the kitchen is often a good place to look.  To experiment, it doesn't have to look pretty  :smiley:

Regards, Ed.

Archived