Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Plastic pipe for Pier

SniffTheGlove

Hello,

I have managed to beg some surplus 150mm OD Black Ribbed plastic 2m drainage pipe (135mm id) off the workmen outside my house digging the roads up and replacing the gas main and using this black pipe for water drainage.

It's quite sturdy, so if I put 3 long 12mm thread rod down through the pipe to help give it some reinforcement, I could then also use these threaded rods to put my steel pier head onto.

I would then fill the tube id with concreate right into the pier concreate base.

Would this be sturdy enough and stop the pier vibrating?

Sean

Yeah, no Scope. Sold my F7 250mm to finance an ED80 14 months ago but I never got around to save enough as it kept being spent, so I am just doing widefield with lenes which is a lot easier for me and my back.

Looking for a pier plate to mount the EQ6 to.

I have seen people use Brake Discs of cars and it is mention the that the odd Skoda Fabia or Vauxhall Carlton disc might fit. So today if I have time I hope to visit a scrap yard to to find what fits an id of 65mm and is at least 200mm od.

The Skoda Fabia solid brake disc (1J0615601P) has a 65mm id so should fix the EQ6, even if it might mean a little work with a rotary sander to open the id up a little.

http://www.brakebook.com/bb/mintex/en_GB/MDC980_82/datasheet.xhtml

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOLF-97-05-A3-TT-OCTAVIA-FABIA-TOLEDO-LEON-BORA-R-SOLID-BRAKE-DISC-x2-/190773400858?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c6afb151a

So I have my pipe sorted, now I have the mounting plates. I don't want to use M12 so I have found a place that sells M20 threaded rods/couplers/nuts and will use this to embed in the concrete and to the brake discs.

I have a piece of standard size plastic electrical conduit pipe that I will place inside the plastic pier pipe to run my Cat6e network cable through as I have a Cat6e cable already running out to my old wooden pier so I might as well use it and beside Remote Desktop will run faster on LAN  than WiFi.

I still have to complete my Portable Power Box project (see another thread) and then I should be happy, well hopefully happy is these clouds can disperse in time for next winter....

• 1 month later...

Hi Sean, I used rear discs from a Mazda 5, see my thread New Observatory in Norfolk UK. The mazda discs were from ebay and the biggest unvented that I could find as you can see works a treat.

Regards

mike

Hi Sean, I used rear discs from a Mazda 5, see my thread New Observatory in Norfolk UK. The mazda discs were from ebay and the biggest unvented that I could find as you can see works a treat.

Regards

mike

Thanks Mike.

I have not got round to planting the pipe yet, got so many things happening and time is slipping by, also not been a rush as the weather has been really awful for the last xx months. The last time I got out and did some imaging was in September 2013. Damn clouds and shoddy seeing

Archived