NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Astronomik clip filter.

Wanted to try wider field shots so I went and bought an Astronomik CLS CCD clip filter from Modern Astronomy.

Thanks to Bern.....arrived nextday and had a chance to try it Friday for about an hour.

Here is an image of the Sadr region with the filter fitted in my 60Da and using a Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO lense,

I got recently from a member on here, thanks Dave.

Tracking/guiding was poor because I piggy backed on the ED80 and the balance was awful, remedy that later. :grin:

Anyway 45minutes 9x5mins F2.8 @ ISO800 Sadr in the murky sky condtions, no real processing, just a stretch in Imagesplus.

sadr1.jpg

Wanted to try wider field shots so I went and bought an Astronomik CLS CCD clip filter from Modern Astronomy.

Thanks to Bern.....arrived nextday and had a chance to try it Friday for about an hour.

Here is an image of the Sadr region with the filter fitted in my 60Da and using a Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO lense,

I got recently from a member on here, thanks Dave.

Tracking/guiding was poor because I piggy backed on the ED80 and the balance was awful, remedy that later. :grin:

Anyway 45minutes 9x5mins F2.8 @ ISO800 Sadr in the murky sky condtions, no real processing, just a stretch in Imagesplus.

sadr1.jpg

Hi,

If you have an unmodded canon camera, you don't really need the CCD version of the filter, as it has IR cut built in and your camera already has that with the filters fitted inside, you could have gone for the cheaper non CCD version........just a thought

MM

Hi,

If you have an unmodded canon camera, you don't really need the CCD version of the filter, as it has IR cut built in and your camera already has that with the filters fitted inside, you could have gone for the cheaper non CCD version........just a thought

MM

Ehmm. Check the OP carefully again and see which camera he has.  :rolleyes:

Ehmm. Check the OP carefully again and see which camera he has.  :rolleyes:

It still has an inbuilt IR filter, just not as coarse as other canon cameras, so a little more sensitive to Ha also, so they call it the "Da" but did not need the CCD version of that filter, even with that camera.

MM

It still has an inbuilt IR filter, just not as coarse as other canon cameras, so a little more sensitive to Ha also, so they call it the "Da" but did not need the CCD version of that filter, even with that camera.

MM

But it's not just that. I also read that the CCD version is a better LP filter overall.

But it's not just that. I also read that the CCD version is a better LP filter overall.

I can assure you the CCD version and the standard CLS LP filter are exactly the same, except for the IR cut, which you would need with a CCD camera, but with any canon camera, even the Da, you only need the standard version, and it's £35 cheaper.....I think, may have changed now.

MM

Very nice set of images. I should be getting a CLS filter myself for my EOS 450 and hope to be able to use it for some deep sky work soon

It really does make a difference, I have the 1000D with CLS LP filter, and is far far superior to any other LP filter I have used before.

You may need very slightly longer exposures, but still superb.

Also I would like to add that if you have a modded camera these filters were designed by the manufacturer to be used with a modded camera and restore the colour balance almost perfectly, so no horrible colour tinges to deal with, as you get with other LP filters.

If you use one on an unmodded camera (as I used to) you will get a green tinge to all images, and I found it hard to process out, although people say it is easy to do.......I didn't think so.

Hope that's of some help

Regards

MM

It really does make a difference, I have the 1000D with CLS LP filter, and is far far superior to any other LP filter I have used before.

You may need very slightly longer exposures, but still superb.

Also I would like to add that if you have a modded camera these filters were designed by the manufacturer to be used with a modded camera and restore the colour balance almost perfectly, so no horrible colour tinges to deal with, as you get with other LP filters.

If you use one on an unmodded camera (as I used to) you will get a green tinge to all images, and I found it hard to process out, although people say it is easy to do.......I didn't think so.

Hope that's of some help

Regards

MM

The light Balance thing is actually very interesting. Especially for people who are split between going for fully astro modded or baader filter modded camera. As you still need a LP filter on both, there is then no reason then to not go for the Fully Astromodded camera (which is cheaper too).

Yes, like I said before, canon cameras these days have the two filters fitted, one is usually left in because it gives a good sharp cut off IR cut, so no need for a LP filter with IR cut, the other is removed because it cuts a lot more of the visible spectrum especially in Ha, and a not so sharp,cut off in IR.

If you have a full spectrum modded camera, then you would need the CLS CCD version, so you have the IR cut, as both filters would have been removed during the mod.

Sorry if I am telling you what you already know, but hope that helps

MM

Yes, like I said before, canon cameras these days have the two filters fitted, one is usually left in because it gives a good sharp cut off IR cut, so no need for a LP filter with IR cut, the other is removed because it cuts a lot more of the visible spectrum especially in Ha, and a not so sharp,cut off in IR.

If you have a full spectrum modded camera, then you would need the CLS CCD version, so you have the IR cut, as both filters would have been removed during the mod.

Sorry if I am telling you what you already know, but hope that helps

MM

No problem. :)

The reason why I commented earlier is, that I read the following part a while ago on TS website regarding the Clip filters of Astronomik. This might also be the reason why the OP bought the CCD CLS filter:

We offer for Photography only the CCD Filter of Astronomik, not the standard line. Astronomik has re-designed all their photographic filters. The new CCD Filters of Astronomik are Halo-Free. The little bit cheaper standard filter of Astronomik without "CCD" are not optimized for photography.

Hence, my response earlier regarding the non-CCD vs CCD type filter. ;)

No problem. :)

The reason why I commented earlier is, that I read the following part a while ago on TS website regarding the Clip filters of Astronomik. This might also be the reason why the OP bought the CCD CLS filter:

We offer for Photography only the CCD Filter of Astronomik, not the standard line. Astronomik has re-designed all their photographic filters. The new CCD Filters of Astronomik are Halo-Free. The little bit cheaper standard filter of Astronomik without "CCD" are not optimized for photography.

Hence, my response earlier regarding the non-CCD vs CCD type filter. ;)

Yes that is correct, they are not optimised for CCD photography, but fine for DSLR imaging with single filter removal mod........I think that is what it should say.

I contacted AStronomik when I bought my filter and asked, and they told me I did not need the CCD version, but it might be worth an email to them, if you look at the data sheets for the two filters they are exactly the same except for the IR cut part.

But I do think it would be worth emailing them and asking.

MM

Yes that is correct, they are not optimised for CCD photography, but fine for DSLR imaging with single filter removal mod........I think that is what it should say.

I contacted AStronomik when I bought my filter and asked, and they told me I did not need the CCD version, but it might be worth an email to them, if you look at the data sheets for the two filters they are exactly the same except for the IR cut part.

But I do think it would be worth emailing them and asking.

MM

The kicker here is, that these "are" the clip filters for DSLR cameras on TS. I am not talking about the regular CCD filters. That is a Whole different Territory.:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p6651_Astronomik-CLS-CCD-Clip-Filter-for-Canon-EOS-cameras-with-APS-C-sensor.html

So I Guess they just did some changes in their filter lines, as TS is describing. I don't know.

But I think we are derailing the OP's topic and the fine image he took With his camera and his New filter. Don't you agree? :)

Thanks for the comments.

Yes I could have gone for the cheaper version but decided to go for the CCD one.

The filter is excellent on the LP front which is the most important reason for buying.

Archived