Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Better MOON Bits

supernova

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The focus is OK Bernie, you've over exposed a couple but the others just need a bit of tweaking in Photoshop or a similar package to bring out and sharped the detail. Good shots mate.

Hi Gaz Thanks matey,

But I dont know how to do that I am new to all this :oops:

:D

:nono: Never give up! :wink: I wonder if there's an adapter available to attach your camera to the eyepiece.. it sure makes things easier.

One of these? http://firstlightoptics.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=swinivcamadaptor

Tony

Wow thanks Tony that could sort the shakey hand bit :D :D

:lol::laugh:

Bernie.

And to think I was going to make one :insects1: :shock: :insects1: :shock:

Download Registax (free), load the images in and have a play (gently!!)with the wavelet sliders on the lefthand side - they can shapen up an image and bring out a lot of detail that you wouldn't think was there.

I am very sorry Gaz but it is going over my head.

Download and run this installer:

http://www.astronomie.be/registax/html/download_v4.html

and then load your images in to the program and have a little 'play' with the sliders on the left of the screen. Its very easy to use and can give great results.

I'm in work tonight or I'd show you an example of whats easily possible using your images and registaz, perhaps someone else will have a quick go at one of them?

and then load your images in to the program and have a little 'play' with the sliders on the left of the screen. Its very easy to use and can give great results.

I'm in work tonight or I'd show you an example of whats easily possible using your images and registaz, perhaps someone else will have a quick go at one of them?

OK will have a go thanks very much :D :D

:nono: Never give up! :D I wonder if there's an adapter available to attach your camera to the eyepiece.. it sure makes things easier.

One of these? http://firstlightoptics.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=swinivcamadaptor

Tony

Just had another look Tony but if the base fits the ota it cant bend to the eyepiece hole,

Am I being thick?

Bernie, I'll be honest and admit I don't know how these things work. I use a different setup to do my afocal imaging. Let me do a bit of Googling and see if I can grab an image of it 'in action'.

Tony..

Got to love Google image search :D...

As I suspected, it would appear the 'foot' doesn't do anything Bernie. It looks like it's basically two clamps. One to go around the camera lens and one to go around the eyepiece. Clamp them together, focus and off you go.

Tony..

post-13439-133877337537_thumb.jpg

I don't understand either.. how does it attach? :? The one from Orion is pretty intuitive, but this one is confusing.

The curved brackets go around the eyepiece and the camera is attached to the little platform, right? But since there's no adjustment extender allowing the camera to be placed further from the eyepiece, an external focuser would hit the ep as soon as it tried to focus, wouldn't it? :D

Ah, so that's what it looks like when it's being used! :notworthy: Now it's easy to see that there's room for the external focuser to do its' job w/o bumping into the ep. :D

There's no clamp on the camera lens, though. The camera attaches to the adapter the same way it would be attached to any camera mount.

I have a Scopetronix adapter for my Nikon CoolPix 4300, but it's a totally different set-up. The adapter is a little tube which actually screws into threads on the outside rim of the camera lens, and is then attached to the ep via three tension screws. The tube is long enough to allow for the extension of the external focuser, and the tube prevents stray light from getting in.

Bernie, does your camera have an external (extendable) focuser? If you get this adapter, you might want to rig up some sort of 'light collar' to go between the ep and the camera lens.. I suppose a section of paper towel tube would do in a pinch. :D

OK will have a go thanks very much :D:lol:

Bernie, here's what a photo program can do.

This is Janssen before and after tweaking... what a difference, eh?

Granted, the seeing was above average, but there's still a world of difference between an image right out of the camera and one which you've tweaked a bit.

But the MOST important element to a good imaging session (jmho) is the seeing. If the atmosphere is jigglymush, no photo program in the world will be able to salvage the images.. the old 'silk purse out of a sow's ear' thing. :D

Bernie,not sure about your camera but is it possible to do something like this,i think this is what Carol was on about.Turned it at work out of black nylon.

Its what i used with my Konica Minolta

You made that? Nice job! :thumbup:

Here's what I use for lunar imaging. The adapter originally came in 3 pieces which needed to be separated every time the eyepiece was changed, so I decided to epoxy the whole thing into one solid piece.

The small, recessed screws (set screws?) were replaced with larger ones, which made it a lot easier to handle in the dark with gloves on. The only other mod needed was for me to drill the holes a bit larger to accomodate the regular screws, but that was easy enough. :D

post-13732-133877337547_thumb.jpg

post-13732-13387733755_thumb.jpg

post-13732-133877337553_thumb.jpg

While we're on a show & tell vibe :D, here's what I use for my afocal fun and games...

(left to right) my Canon Powershot A610, an adapter that allows accessories with a 52mm thread to be attached, a Baader SP54 to 52mm step ring and a Hyperion eyepiece. Apologies for the out of focusness!

2696_normal.jpeg

(eat me)

And all connected...

2697_normal.jpeg

(drink me)

Tony..

A BIG thank you for all your ideas and help :D :thumbup: my Cannon G9 has a 52mm adapter ring for a wide angle so I am going to see if I can get the adaptor and step ring if not a bit of Diy.

Great mods BTW

The POW is coming my way methinks :D

[i have never had a prisoner of war :rolleyes:]

Archived