Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

deep space imager for Celestron 8SE scope

alcol620

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi GB

Thanks for that. How much of an improvement would the QHY5L-ii be over my current imager http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solar-System-CCD-Astronomy-Imaging-Photography-Set-/380827149668?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

Still much to learn about Planetary imaging so not too disappointed over DSOs

Reading through that page suggest they use the Outer Shell of the Celestron Nexstar Imager and the internals of the SPC900NC, which is now a very old CCD sensor.

Tho, you should still be able to produce very decent images with it.

So I would continue on using it first, till you get the hang of it. Stacking and Processing. Etc.

The QHY5L-II will definitely be an improvement over this camera yes. This CMOS sensor has a very high sensitivity and high framerates.

GuillermoBarrancos

Hi again

Many thanks for taking an interest and providing me with very helpful guidance, much appreciated.

I will act on your guidance and continue for a while with the current imager, I need more practice anyway, still much to learn.

A couple of further question if I may. I have purchased a Bahtinov Mask for the scope and made myself a dewshield (this extends the scope by 10 inches or so). Presumably when using the Mask I have to remove the dew shield to focu the image rather than fit the mask over the extended scope and dew shield. Might seem a silly question, but I am new to this hobby. Also can I use the mask to focus an image from the imager on my laptop screen?

Thanks again

Alec

GuillermoBarrancos

Hi again

Many thanks for taking an interest and providing me with very helpful guidance, much appreciated.

I will act on your guidance and continue for a while with the current imager, I need more practice anyway, still much to learn.

A couple of further question if I may. I have purchased a Bahtinov Mask for the scope and made myself a dewshield (this extends the scope by 10 inches or so). Presumably when using the Mask I have to remove the dew shield to focu the image rather than fit the mask over the extended scope and dew shield. Might seem a silly question, but I am new to this hobby. Also can I use the mask to focus an image from the imager on my laptop screen?

Thanks again

Alec

Hi Alec, I think you will have to remove the dewshield when attaching the mask.  Also, you can use the laptop screen to focus with the mask on, just turn the gain settings and exposre time right up until what you are looking at is a bright orange blob.  This then forms the six pronged star thing better with the Bahtinov mask.  NB.  The real difficulty I had when doing this with my 8SE was that the image would move / dissapear from the screen when putting on / removing the mask.  Very nearly lost my temper with this a couple of times when using a Barlow  :lipsrsealed:

Dewshields like the Astrozap should be very stiff. Stiff enough to hold a light plastic bahtinov mask in place without flexing.

So, depending on the type of dewshield and bahtinov mask you have. Trial and error and see how it goes. But in 99% of the cases there shouldn´t be any problem.

Bit cumbersome too, especially when using dewshields with heaters, to continiously have to remove the dewshield to focus with a mask.

Archived